Personalized Handprint Wall Art

Posted on by

**This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, we may receive compensation. All of the opinions stated are 100% our own.

I have a lot of empty walls in my house and I’m on a mission to fill them. I found this cute personalized handprint wall art idea from Sunshine Homestead and loved it so, I set to work making one for my family, including my furry kids.

Personalized Family Handprint Plank

To get started I went to Home Depot and searched through their scrap wood section until I found this weathered gray 2×8 board for only $2. Score!  I had Home Depot cut it to the size I needed so I wouldn’t have to pull out the saw when I got home.

Once I got it home I used a sandpaper block to lightly sand it to get any splinters and dirt off. Other than that  I didn’t have to do much to prep the wood since I wanted a rustic look.  Wood for the family handprint plank.

Since there is no practice run with paint I decided to trace everyone’s handprint (except the dogs’) on construction paper, and cut it out, to see how they would fit on the board.

Once I was sure of placement it was time for the fun part! I used white acrylic paint, applied a thin layer all over the palms of the kids and the dogs’ pads.  You may need assistance if you have larger pets or smaller children.  Gently press the hand, or paw, down on the plank and done! The dogs weren’t thrilled, but my son loved getting to paint his hand and help with a project :).

Family Handprint Plank

Kat used her Silhouette Cameo cutting machine to cut out everyone’s name using white vinyl and I put each name under the handprint (or pawprint) it belonged to.

Vinyl names on handpring plank.

I hung it on a narrow wall in my kitchen near our dinner table and I love seeing it there. The kids are growing up so fast and I thought this was a perfect way to capture a moment. The whole project took less than 2 hours (most of that time was wrangling kids and dogs) and now I have a great piece of personalized handprint wall art that includes everyone in the family.

melinda

party_button

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged , , , , on by .

About Melinda

Hello, I'm Melinda, I live in Maryland with my amazing husband and two adorable children (i'm not just saying that because they are mine, they are really adorable, most days). Sawyer is four and Harper will be two in January. They keep me busy and inspired most days and just stressed the other days. I own a seasonal Rita's Italian Ice store that is open from March until October. Now I have my new adventure called Home.Made.Interest., where my bff Kat and I get to share our passion of all things creative. Since I am Portuguese, I have a love of garlic, pork and coffee. I am very excited to see where this adventure of blogland take us. Hope you enjoy our journey along the way.

80 thoughts on “Personalized Handprint Wall Art

1. ang

Hands down (heehee, pun intended!) you have the greatest projects! Thanks for sharing at Cook it! Craft it! Share it! I’m sharing this on my FB page later today :)

2. Karen

I love this!!!! What a great way to create a memory of this time in your family’s life!!!! We are usually to busy to take the time to even take pictures, let along make memory artifacts. I’m going to pass this along to my daughter in love to do with her flock. Thanks for the wonderful idea!!!!

1. Melinda Post author

Thanks Sarah! I have several new projects in the works for my wall gallery. Pretty soon, I’m going to run out of wall space.

3. Michele @ Our Rosey Life

Hi Melinda, I love making things that capture a moment time for our family and your handprint wall art does that beautifully. And who knew about the Home Depot scrap pile??!! Thanks for sharing that tidbit too!

4. Denise

This is a great project to do with Emma. Love it and so inspirational for me. Thank you! And thank you for linking up at share it sunday!

5. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday | A Lavender Life

6. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday #41 | Epic Mommy Adventures

7. Pingback: I’m Co-Hosting Turn It Up Tuesday! | 3littlegreenwoods

8. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday 41 - The Mom Maven

9. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday #41 - My Silly Little Gang

10. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday - #41 - Baby Doodah!

11. Pingback: I Am Really Hosting Turn It Up Tuesdays Now!!!! | Keystrokes by Kimberly

12. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday #41 ‹ Anything & EverythingAnything & Everything

13. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday #41 - Craving some Creativity

14. Pingback: Turn It Up Tuesday #41 - View From The Fridge | View From The Fridge

15. Pingback: My Paper Craze Creative Spark Link Party #9 - My Paper Craze

16. Nici

Such a fun idea! Love the little paw prints at the end too! Thanks a bunch for sharing at my Creative Ways Link Party! I hope you’ll be back tonight with more awesome posts!
    Blessings,
    Nici

17. Pingback: Link Round-up: Collecting, Recharging, Crafts, and More | Modern Baby

18. Pingback: Wall Art Projects

19. Shanice

Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream’s City of Links last Friday! I loved this post so much that I chose it to be featured for this weeks party. :) Go grab a button you deserve it!

20. Pingback: Fabulous Finds & Linky Party - Mamas Blog Central

21. Pingback: Skip The Housework Saturday #27 - Reasons To Skip The Housework

22. Topaz

I ADORE this! I remember doing the boys’ hand prints on burlap and framing it with a quote when they were little. I love this even more! People are just so creative!

23. Stephanie Williams

Hi, I love this!!! Just wondering where you got the words/letters. Are they vinyl? Did you order them or do you do it yourself? Thanks!

24. Pingback: Halloween Footprint Sign | Home. Made. Interest.

25. Pingback: Crafty Thursday Obsessions {#29} - Julie is Coco and Cocoa