This Cranberry Orange French Toast is an easy breakfast recipe that is a little sweet and a little tart!
Some people get super excited for fall flavors, apple, pumpkin, cinnamon,…I’m more of a winter kind of girl. peppermint, gingerbread, cranberry. I’ve been adding cranberries to a lot of dishes this year from my sweet potatoes, to my mini cranberry fluff cakes and so far this Cranberry Orange French Toast is one of my favorites! Cranberries are an amazing winter berry that don’t get nearly as much attention as they deserve. They have a great tart flavor that mellows out with the addition of a little sugar. I’m not even a huge french toast fan but the addition of this sweet cranberry sauce made this french toast out of this world good!
I pair cranberry and orange together a lot. The orange gives that extra little bit of citrus brightness and the natural sweetness of the orange helps to counteract the tartness of the cranberries. I even added a little orange zest to the french toast to really tie this whole dish together. This isn’t your mom’s french toast recipe…or it at least it isn’t my mom’s! I added warm, rich spices to the mix and that combined with the orange an cranberries makes this a perfect breakfast or brunch for the holidays, if you can wait that long. I’ve already made it twice this winter and I think it would make a great breakfast for Christmas morning.
The french toast is amazing all on it’s own but the cranberry-orange syrup is what really makes it out of this world. Fresh or frozen cranberries are cooked with cranberry sauce, fresh orange juice, a little orange zest and corn syrup to make a sweet, tart, beautiful syrup to pour over those thick, fluffy pieces of french toast. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar over everything and you’re going to be in heaven. You can even save any extra syrup in the freezer for the next time you make them, and I’m positive there will be a next time!
- 8 slices Thick white bread
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Eggs
- ¼ c Milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Zest from ½ an Orange
- ¼ c Cranberry sauce
- 1 c Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 c Corn syrup
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp Orange zest
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, and sugar together and pour into a shallow container.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip bread in egg mixture and drop into a skillet frying slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
- Set the slices to the side as they are finished.
- Plate french toast, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and pour Cranberry-Orange sauce over it.
- Add all ingredients to a small pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring continuously.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
- Let cool slightly before pouring over french toast.
If you’re looking for more breakfast ideas try these!