This Mint Oreo Layered Dessert is a mint chocolate dessert that is the perfect recipe for St. Patrick’s Day!
When I was a kid my grandma used to make this awesome layered pudding dessert. It had a simple crust made with butter, flour, and pecans, then layers of cream cheese, chocolate pudding, and Cool Whip. She just called it Dee’s recipe. I never actually knew who Dee was but it didn’t really matter, that dessert was so good and I always asked her to make it for me.
Do you ever have one of those recipes that you love, but you can never quite remember how to make it? This was that recipe for me. I can’t tell you how many times I called her to get it again. I wrote it down every time but it would always go missing and with a recipe name like “Dee’s recipe” it was pretty hard to find in a google search. Then along came Pinterest, that awesome website where we all suddenly discovered that those special family recipes we remembered from our childhood weren’t that special after all, LOL. Turns out everyone’s grandma made this dessert, though they all had their own little twists like different crusts, and pudding flavors.
This year I deviated from my grandma’s recipe and used mint Oreos to make a fun St. Patrick’s Day dessert. It’s really so easy, I’m not sure why I used to have so much trouble remembering how to make it. It starts with a layer of whole mint Oreos dipped in milk. Then you mix cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, Cool Whip, mint extract, and a few drops of green food coloring together. Layer that on top of the cookies. On top of that put a layer of chocolate pudding, and finish it off with a layer of Cool Whip sprinkled with crushed mint Oreos. Cover the dish and put it in the refrigerator for an hour or two, or overnight, to let the cookies get nice and soft, and then serve!
I’m hungry all over again just looking at this. Chocolate and mint is an awesome combination, add cream cheese and Oreos to that and you have an irresistible dessert. I know grandma would have been proud :).
- 1 package Mint Oreos
- 1 c Milk
- 2 8 oz.containers Cool Whip
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- ½ c Confectioner's sugar
- ¼ tsp Mint extract
- 3-5 drops Green extract
- 1 box Chocolate Pudding, large + Milk as required in instruction on the box
- Make pudding according to directions on the box. Put it in the refrigerator until it has set.
- Dunk each Oreo in milk and place it in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Mix 1 container Cool Whip, cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, mint extract, and food coloring, together until smooth.
- Spread mixture over the cookies.
- Spread pudding over the cream cheese mixture layer.
- Top with a layer of Cool Whip and sprinkle the top with crushed mint Oreos.
- Put it in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mint and chocolate is awesome any time but this makes an especially good St. Patrick’s Day dessert. If you like this you might also enjoy: