Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This Easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe uses homemade biscuits, fresh strawberries, and light and fluffy whipped cream to make the BEST strawberry shortcake from scratch!
This Easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe is one of my go-to summer dessert recipes! It’s super simple to make, just a few of my baking powder biscuits, some homemade whipped cream, and fresh summer strawberries sweetened with a little sugar.
Let’s face it fresh strawberries sweetened with a little sugar to make them release their juices are just about the best thing ever and I’ll eat them straight from the bowl, but add them to biscuits for strawberry shortcake or spoon them over a slice of sour cream pound cake and I’m in heaven!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake from Scratch
- Sweeten the Strawberries
In a large bowl slice up your strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar. Let these sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the juices to come out.
- Bake the Biscuits
Follow the recipe for these Baking Powder Biscuits. If you would like to add a little sweetness add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the dough and sprinkle a little sugar on top of them before placing them in the oven. Once baked let them cool completely.
- Make the Whipped Cream
In the bowl of your mixer combine cold heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip on high until medium to stiff peaks form.
Split open a biscuit and add whipped cream and strawberries making sure to spoon some of the strawberry juice on it too. Place the top biscuit on and add more whipped cream and strawberries.
No. You can make your biscuits using a store bought mixture such as Bisquick, or you can use canned biscuits. If you used canned biscuits I suggest buying the largest, fluffiest biscuits you can find.
If you don’t have time for biscuits you can also use poundcake, angel food cake or miniature sponge cakes.
Those fresh summer strawberries are really the star of this dish. You don’t want to use frozen strawberries for this recipe.
Pick up a couple of pints of strawberries at the store, or stop by your local farmer’s market, slice them up and sprinkle sugar over them. How much sugar you need will vary depending on how sweet your strawberries were to start with. Start with 1/4 cup and work your way up as needed.
Some people macerate the berries and sugar but for strawberry shortcake I like to toss sliced strawberries in the sugar and let the mixture sit for an hour in the fridge, just like I do for my Sour Cream Pound Cake. There is always plenty of that sweet delicious strawberry juice when it’s time to use them.
You can make the biscuits, and sweetened strawberries up to 2 days in advance. Store the biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature and store the strawberries in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
It is best to make the whipped cream right before you are ready to assemble the shortcakes and serve.
Looking for More Strawberry Dessert Recipes?
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberries and Ice Cream Pie
- No Bake Strawberry Summer Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles
- Lemonade Fruit Salad
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 8 Baking Powder Biscuits
- 1 tablespoon Sugar, optional
- 2 pints Strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy Cream, cold
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- In a large bowl slice up your strawberries. Add the sugar and toss the berries until they are well coated. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the juices to come out.
- Bake your Baking Powder Biscuits. If you would like to add a little sweetness add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the dough and sprinkle a little sugar on top of them before placing them in the oven (optional). Once baked let them cool completely.
- In the bowl of your mixer combine cold heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Whip on high until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until medium stiff peaks form.
- Split open a biscuit and add whipped cream and strawberries making sure to spoon some of the strawberry juice on it too. Place the top biscuit on and add more whipped cream and strawberries.
- Serve immediately.