First Year Must Haves for Mom and Baby
Today I’m sharing my First Year Must Haves for Mom and Baby. Becoming a parent is already stressful but having the right tools can make a world of difference.
I know that as long as you have a loving parent, some diapers and breast milk or formula your baby will be just fine. BUT, from experience, these items make life much easier! Let’s face it, the first year seems like that hardest so any help to soothe a crying baby or giving you an extra 20 minutes of sleep is totally worth it. I have personally used and loved each of these first year must haves for mom and baby.
Note: This post contains affiliate links which means we may be compensated if you click links and purchase items.
1. BabyBjörn Baby Carrier– I have a back pain daily so I was hesitant in even wearing any kid of baby carrier. I was pleasantly surprised that this was super comfortable and didn’t add any stress to my lower back. Baby can lay facing you or away from you.
2. aden + anais Classic Muslin Swaddle– Love love love these muslin blankets. They are light and breathable and soo soft. I found that when it came to swaddling, muslin was the easiest way to wrap your baby like a burrito. I used these as swaddles, stroller covers, nursing cover and the list goes on and on. I had them stashed around the house, diaper bag and car.
3. Stokke Natural Tripp Trapp Chair– Still using my Stokke high chair after 5 years. I know it’s expensive, but it’s not just a high chair. Your baby can use it until adulthood, yes adulthood! It holds up to 300lbs. It grows with your baby, starts off as a high chair then booster seat. You can add a tray or have your baby eat at the same table as you. We use it as a chair/stool now. After 5 years and two kids, its still holding up like new.
4. Mommy’s Bliss Double Pack Gripe Water-This stuff is a lifesaver! I breast feed my oldest for the first year, so everything I ate, he did too. Poor guy was always gassy and with a few drops he would be fine. It was magical. I still give it my 2 year old when she’s not feeling well.
5. The Happiest Baby on the Block– I read every pregnancy book and baby book on the market it seems like. This one was the most useful. We actually watched the DVD, it made the first few months of sleepless nights bearable. If you haven’t hear of the 5 S’s, you will want to memorize them! They work every time to soothe a crying baby.
6. Infant Rocker/Swing– Both my baby’s loved their swing. In the early months when your baby is waking up every hour on the hour to eat, I would put them in their swing when I needed to shower, eat or breathe. Kept them safe, off the ground or couch. The rocking helped put them to sleep, bonus!
7. Auto Shipping Diapers– Yes, you will need diapers, a lot of them. You will run out of them at a 2 am blowout. Mommy brain will take over once you give birth if not sooner. Having diapers scheduled and auto shipped is the way to go. You get a discount and it’s only a 2 day shipping!
8. Boppy Pillow– This is so helpful for the first 6 months. You can lay your baby on their back the first month, then on their stomach to help with strengthening their necks. Also helps them learn to sit up alone. Makes a great neck pillow for mom & dad too!
9. Motorola Video Baby Monitor – Going on 5 years that I still use my Motorola monitor, it is on 24 hours days and has never broken! I swear by this brand and monitor. It has night vision so you can see your baby and determine if you need to sprint up those stairs or let them self soothe. Now that my kids are older (4 and 2 years old), I sue it to communicate with them. You can actually talk through the monitor. I’m usually telling my 4 year old to “get back in bed” and my 2 year old tells me when she needs to go potty. It also comes in handy when my husband is checking on the kids and he needs something from downstairs. Being able to watch your baby fall asleep helps lessen anxiety and you learn your baby’s sleep pattern. Do they toss and turn every night or cry out in the middle of the night? Once you learn those things, you will be able to have a peaceful nights rest!
10. Mustela Newborn 4 Piece Gift Set– Out of all the millions of baby products sold, Mustela is my favorite brand. I don’t know how to describe the smell but that seems to be what everyone loves about this including me. It’s has a gentle clean smell that just puts a smile on your face. This is my go to gift for any baby shower.
I hope my First Year Must Haves for Mom & Baby has helped. I personally own and have used all of these items. You will be overwhelmed with all the baby products out there, make sure you read reviews and talk to other moms.