Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese
This Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese is an organic mac and cheese recipe that the whole family is going to love.
I think by now just about everyone’s kids are back in school (big sigh of relief). For those of you who don’t go back until after Labor Day, just a couple more days! I joke about being relieved but I do miss hanging out at the pool all day with the kids and let’s face it back to school brings on it’s own set of challenges. The toughest one for me is figuring out how to get everyone fed on a tight schedule without resorting to feeding everyone junk food.
Recently I went through my freezer, and my pantry, two places that tend to fill up with quick and easy food that isn’t always the best choice, and I de-junked it. I got rid of all of the pre-packed stuff with ingredient lists that were a mile long, and tried to cut down on the chips and cookies that I keep in the house. Then I filled it back up with better-for-you choices for dinner and snacks. Making everything from scratch is just never going to happen around here so I’m not even going to pretend that I don’t have any more boxed and canned goods in my pantry BUT I’m trying to make better choices. The pre-packaged items I did include Annie’s Homegrown products that are made with simple, down-to-earth ingredients. They are certified organic, non-GMO, and have no artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives. I think my kids’ favorite addition to our pantry is the Annie’s Organic Shells & White Cheddar Mac & Cheese. My kids were never going to give up on good old boxed macaroni and cheese and Annie’s made the switch to a better-for-you product easy. My kids love it!
Last week I combined Annie’s Organic Shells & White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese with a few other simple ingredients, ground turkey, organic diced tomatoes, organic tomato paste, and a little Worcestershire sauce for a quick and easy Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese. It was amazing. Two classics, Sloppy Joe’s and macaroni and cheese, coming together to make the ultimate comfort food. I may have had two helpings. Don’t judge me.
Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 boxes Annie’s Homegrown Organic Grass Fed Shells & Real Aged Cheddar
- 6 Tbsp Milk
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 can Organic Diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp Organic Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Add shells and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks brown the ground turkey. Once cooked through drain grease and return to skillet stirring in the Worcestershire diced tomatoes and tomato paste adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain the pasta.
- In the sauce pan add the cheese (from the box) and the milk. Stir until combined then add the pasta back to the cheese sauce.
- Mix ingredients until the pasta is fully coated.
- Add pasta to the ground turkey mixture and stir together gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can find Annie’s Homegrown products at your local grocery store. They have so many organic products that are better-for-you alternatives to the comfort foods we are used to. They have so many products that are perfect for the kids’ lunch boxes too! Get inspired with some of these fun ideas. Cheese crackers, granola bars, yogurt, it has made keeping up with our new eating habits so easy in the face of the back to school rush. Next time you’re grocery shopping make sure to look for Annie’s Homegrown I know you’ll love it!