Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burger
This Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burger is a delicious alternative to ground beef. Black beans and corn are blended together with spices to make a meatless burger the whole family will love.
These spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burgers are an awesome meatless Monday meal. I’ve been working on using some of my excess pantry staples and the result was this delicious black bean burger made with canned black beans, corn, and chipotles in adobo, along with a blend of flavorful spices including chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika.
The only thing that I needed that didn’t come from the pantry was a fresh onion and a single egg, both of which I always have on hand.
All of those ingredients combined give you a meatless burger bursting with flavor that you can serve with simple sides such as avocado coleslaw, cucumber and tomato salad, broccoli salad, or crispy air fryer brussels sprouts.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need
- Black Beans – I use canned black beans for this recipe to keep things simple but you can cook dried black beans if you prefer.
- Breadcrumbs – Just a small amount of panko breadcrumbs helps bring everything together and create a firm patty.
- White Onion – I grate the onions for this recipe so they basically melt into the burger and you don’t bite down on a big chunk of onion. The small size also makes it easier to form patties
- Corn – I used canned whole kernel corn but in the summer fresh corn straight off of the cob would be delicious!
- Egg – Just 1 egg is the perfect amount to add to this recipe. It binds all of the ingredients together into the perfect patty.
- Chipotles in Adobo – I love these! The sauce and the peppers are smokey, and spicy and totally delicious. chop up a pepper and scoop it up with the sauce to add to the burger.
- Spices – One of the common complaints about bean burgers is that they lack flavor so we spiced ours up with salt, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, pepper, smoked paprika. In the end your burger will be bursting with flavor!
How to Make It
Bake beans – After you rinse and drain the black beans you are going to need to remove some of that excess moisture. You’ll do this by spreading the black beans out on a baking sheet and baking them at a low temperature for about 15 minutes.
Mash Beans – Measure out ½ cup of beans and set aside. Place the rest of the beans in a large bowl and use a fork to mash them up.
Mix – Add the breadcrumbs, grated onion, corn, egg, chipotles in adobo, salt, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, pepper, and smoked paprika to the beans and mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
Make patties – Form the bean mixture into 4 equal patties.
Cook – Skillet Instructions: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side.
Oven Instructions: Place the patties on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Yes! They are a great source of fiber, protein, vitamins including vitamin B, thiamine, niacin, folate and riboflavin, and minerals such as phosphorus and iron.
The most common reason that these burgers fall apart is that there is no binder. That’s why we’ve added an egg to this recipe. The egg acts as a binder holding all of the ingredients together and helping it keep its shape as it cooks.
Yes, you can freeze these veggie burgers. Once you have made your patties place them on a lined baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer for approximately 1 hour. Then remove the burgers and place them in a freezer bag, or freezer-safe container, making sure to put parchment paper or wax paper in between layers so they don’t stick together. Seal the container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use the burger place the container in the refrigerator to defrost. Once thawed you can cook them according to the recipe instructions. You may need to add up to 5 minutes to make sure they are heated all the way through.
Looking for More Easy Bean Recipes?
- Instant Pot Boston Baked Beans
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- Pressure Cooker Black Beans and Chorizo
- Easy Cowboy Caviar
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Chipotle Black Bean Burger
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Spread black beans out on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes to remove some of the moisture from the beans.
- Measure out ½ cup of beans and set aside. Place the rest of the beans in a large bowl and use a fork to mash them up.
- Add the breadcrumbs, grated onion, corn, egg, chipotles in adobo, salt, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, pepper, and smoked paprika to the beans and mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Form the bean mixture into 4 equal patties.
- Skillet Instructions: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side.
- Oven Instructions: Place the patties on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.