Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a rustic Italian dish with braised flavorful bone-in chicken slow cooked in a luscious tomato sauce and aromatic vegetables that will change your life!
- 4 Chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 2 Chicken drumsticks bone in, skin on
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt divided
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Yellow onion sliced
- 1 Red bell pepper sliced
- 1 Green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 cups Baby bella mushrooms sliced (aka crimini)
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 28 ounces Crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounces Diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Chicken stock
Mix 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chicken.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet (I love using cast iron) over medium-high heat. Place about 1/2 of the chicken pieces in the skillet skin side down. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes each side. Place browned chicken in the slow cooker while you cook the remaining chicken. Repeat.
Meanwhile: add onions, peppers, olives, mushrooms, garlic, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and remaining 1/2 salt to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 5 hours.
Serve over polenta, mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice and enjoy!
Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 2024mg | Potassium: 1493mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1825IU | Vitamin C: 92.5mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 5.3mg