This easy recipe for Harissa Paste is made with a blend of red peppers and spices to create a spicy paste that is perfect for marinades and sauces.
- 6 Dried red peppers see post above for red pepper suggestions
- 6 ounces Roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander see note 1 below
- 1.5 teaspoon Caraway see note 1 below
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
Slice the dried peppers open and carefully remove the seeds and throw them away.
Place the peppers in a small to medium bowl and pour 2 cups of hot water over them.
Cover the dish to hold in the steam and soak the peppers for about 30 minutes or until they have fully softened.
Put the softened peppers, tomato paste, garlic, spices, and olive oil in a food processor.
Set to puree and blend until you have a smooth paste. It should only take about 1 to 2 minutes.
- If you are using whole spices you'll need to grind them before adding to the rest of the ingredients to ensure they are fully ground into powder.
Serving: 2tablespoons | Calories: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 162IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg