BLT Bacon Cups
These BLT Bacon Cups are the perfect low carb, gluten free, and completely amazing recipe for an appetizer, lunch, or dinner!
It’s the end of the month and that means it is time for another Monthly Ingredient Challenge! For those of you who may have missed it the Monthly Ingredient Challenge is a group of bloggers who have gotten together to create delicious recipes based on the monthly ingredient chosen by someone in the group. This is what we’ve done so far:
It was our turn to pick this month’s ingredient and you know what we love…BACON! We can’t get enough of it, so for the second time this week we are sharing a BLT recipe that is going to blow your mind. Now don’t get me wrong, those BLT bites were good…really good…but today we’ve got bacon cups! This recipe is low carb, gluten free, and filled with awesome.
Step 1 is making a miniature bacon weave (see Melinda’s tutorial) that will form your cup. Flip a regular size muffin tin over on a baking sheet (the baking sheet will catch the bacon grease). Some people line the muffing tin with aluminum foil, but in my experience it is just as much of a clean-up with it as without so I skip that part. You will need 3 pieces of bacon for each cup. Cut 2 bacon strips in half. Lay two of the pieces up and down over a the muffin tin. Then weave two pieces through from left to right. The last piece of bacon (still whole) wraps around the outside weaving under and over each of the existing pieces. I know it sounds complicated but it isn’t, I promise!
Don’t expect to make a weave for each muffin tin, I usually leave an empty one in between each bacon cup so they don’t touch each other. Place the backing sheet in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked to your liking. Let the cups cool before removing them. You can make the bacon cups ahead of time. Just cook them a day or two before and when you are ready to use them place them on a baking sheet and cook them in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes to warm them before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
Then you just chop up some lettuce, toss it with mayo, and fill the bacon cups with your salad. Top it with slices of grape tomatoes and you have an impressive appetizer or a super awesome lunch. I’ve made these for brunch more than once. They are way better than the usual boring salad option!
Before you grab the recipe don’t forget to check out all of the other yummy bacon recipes from this month’s challenge:
BLT Bacon Cups
- 15 strips of Bacon
- 7 c Salad mix
- 10 Grape tomatoes
- 3 - 5 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For each bacon cup cut two strips of bacon in half and leave 1 strip whole.
- Flip a regular size muffin tin over on a baking sheet.
- Lay two of the 1/2 strips of bacon up and down over one of the muffin tins.
- Weave two strips of bacon from left to right through the vertical pieces.
- Weave the whole strip of bacon around the outside, weaving under and over each of the existing pieces.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is cooked the way you like it.
- Let bacon cool on muffin tins before removing.
- Chop up salad mix and toss it with 3-5 Tbsp of mayo, depending on your preference.
- Add dressed salad mix to the bacon cups and top with grape tomato slices.
- **Note: The bacon cups can be made ahead of time. Cook the bacon cups a day or two before and when you are ready to use them place them on a baking sheet and cook them in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes to warm them.