Funfetti Cupcake Surprise!
Who doesn’t love a Funfetti Cupcake? These light and fluffy Funfetti Cupcakes use a doctored up cake mix and are filled with a fun surprise!
Funfetti Cupcakes, what’s not to love? I mean they have FUN in their name! My kids go nuts for anything with sprinkles on it so Funfetti Cupcakes are always a favorite. You can imagine how excited they were when I made Funfetti Cupcake Surprise! The surprise is a rainbow of colorful sprinkles that are hidden in the center of each cupcake.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pillsbury™. The opinions and text are all mine.
I made these one rainy afternoon when the kids and I were stuck at home. I figured we all needed something to brighten up our afternoon and a Funfetti Cupcake seemed like the right answer. I love to bake but I’m always looking for ways to save a little time. I’m a huge fan of doctored up cake mixes. Doctoring up a cake mix means you start with a box of cake mix but you add a few of your own ingredients to take it to the next level and make it a little more like it’s homemade. I used a white cake mix and added vanilla pudding mix and sour cream to it. That makes the cake extra moist and delicious! Into the batter went confetti sprinkles. Confetti sprinkles are the small disc-shaped sprinkles but you can also use traditional sprinkles. There really aren’t any rules when it comes to Funfetti Cupcakes, it’s all about fun :).
For the frosting I used something totally new. When I was at Martin’s doing my grocery shopping the other day I discovered Pillsbury™ Filled Pastry Bags in the baking aisle. They are a new product from Pillsbury that make frosting so much easier. You know what the worst part about frosting cupcakes is? Getting the darn frosting into a piping bag, LOL! These Pillsbury Pastry Bags are pastry bags that are already filled with delicious Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Frosting flavors like Vanilla, Chocolate Fudge, and Cream Cheese. They save so much time! No need to make your own frosting and no need to fight with a pastry bag to frost the cupcakes. You just push the frosting toward the star tip and twist the top of the pastry bag, remove the plastic over the end of the star tip by tearing at the perforation, and then squeeze from the top of the pastry bag to frost. Where have these been all of my life?!
What makes this Funfetti Cupcake Surprise recipe so special is in the middle. I took the center core out of each cupcake and filled them with fun sprinkles. Then I placed the top of the core back over the sprinkles and used the Pillsbury Pastry Bag to pipe Vanilla Frosting on top. I scattered a few more sprinkles on top because you can never have too many sprinkles and then I called the kids. Guys, I wish you could have seen the look on my son’s face when he took the second bite of his cupcake and found the sprinkles inside! These Funfetti Cupcakes brought a smile to all of our faces. They were the perfect easy cupcake recipe for a rainy afternoon at home.
Funfetti Cupcake Surprise
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, water, vanilla instant pudding mix, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of sprinkles to batter and stir to combine.
- Pour cupcake batter into cupcake liners in a muffin tin filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350°F or until you can put a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- After cupcakes have cooled cut a small hole in the top of each cupcake, do NOT go all the way through the bottom.
- Save the core from the cupcake and trim it so you have a small cap for your filled cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with sprinkles.
- Cap each cupcake with the trimmed core.
- Pipe vanilla frosting on using the Vanilla Pillsbury Pastry Bag.
- Top each frosted cupcake with sprinkles.