Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe (Oven)
Make this easy baked buffalo chicken dip recipe in the oven and serve with chip, crackers, and veggies for the ultimate party appetizer!
By now you guys know we LOVE party food. Sliders, dips, and fingers foods are soooo good and this easy buffalo dip recipe baked in the oven is a classic!
It is packed with all of the spicy flavors of your favorite buffalo wings and it’s so easy to make. You only need 5 ingredients, shredded chicken, buffalo sauce (hot sauce), ranch dressing, and lots of cheese (cheddar and cream cheese).
Today we’re sharing with you how to make buffalo chicken dip in the oven but make sure you check out our crock pot and Instant Pot versions too!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken – You’ll need fully cooked shredded chicken for this recipe. You can make shredded chicken in your slow cooker or Instant Pot, boil chicken breasts in water or broth, buy a rotisserie chicken, or use canned chicken. We recommend chicken breast for this recipe (white meat) because it is less fatty.
- Cream cheese – This gives the dip it’s creamy texture. Let it sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes to let it come to room temperature before using.
- Buffalo sauce – We use Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce but you can use any buffalo sauce you like.
- Ranch dressing – Good old Hidden Valley Ranch works great for this recipe but you can use any ranch you like.
- Cheddar cheese – You can use pre-shredded cheddar to save time but you’ll get the best melty results with a fresh block of cheddar that you shred yourself.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
We have taken the original Frank’s buffalo chicken dip recipe and made it our own with a the substitution of cheddar cheese rather than blue cheese crumbles, more chicken, less cream cheese, and more ranch. This gives us the perfect dip every time!
Step 1 – Prepare the oven and the pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Step 2 – Mix. In a large bowl combine cooked chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 6 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese and stir together until mixed. You can use a mixer for this but I think it’s easiest to do it by hand. Just make sure to let that cream cheese come to room temperature so it’s nice and soft.
Step 3 – Place in baking dish. Spread the mixture into the greased 2 quart casserole dish and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Step 4 – Bake. Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Step 5 – More Cheese. After 20 minutes uncover the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Place back in the oven to continue to bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and bubbling.
Step 6 – Serve. Remove the hot dip from the oven and serve with chips, crackers, or veggies.
Optional: If you want to add a little pop of color you can garnish with finely chopped green onions or chives when it comes out of the oven.
Other Ways To Make It
Buffalo chicken dip is so popular that we’ve learned to make it in every way possible. This simple recipe for buffalo chicken dip oven is classic but we’ve also adapted it to be made in a slow cooker and pressure cooker. These are also great for parties because you can keep the dip warm all night long!
Is It Keto?
Yes! buffalo chicken dip is a great keto recipe and it’s one of my favorite party appetizers when I want to make sure to have a keto option for friends and family.
The most common reason for the dip seeming a little greasy is that the ingredients weren’t mixed together well enough. This can mean the ingredients separate as they are heated and the grease from the cheese can pool in places.
Make sure to mix the ingredients together well before baking.
While I prefer fresh grated cheddar cheese in my dip using store bought shredded cheddar (which is lightly dusted in cornstarch) can help hold ingredients together and prevent it from being greasy.
Note: if you want to keep it keto stick with fresh shredded cheese!
Much like the classic Frank’s sauce …we put this s%&@ on everything! :). For parties we suggest tortilla chips, crackers, bread (we suggest French baguette slices), bagel chips, pita bread, pita chips, naan, and veggies such as carrot sticks and celery sticks, for dipping.
If you have leftovers (doubtful!) you can store them in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Want to use up the extra in a different way? Make these delicious buffalo chicken cups!
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerator – This dip can be stored in a tightly sealed the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freezer – We do not suggest freezing this dip. The cream cheese mixture can have a strange texture after being frozen and then baked.
Reheating – To reheat the dip place it in a microwave safe dish and heat for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through. If you prefer to reheat in the oven you can place it in an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
Looking for More Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipes?
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball
- Buffalo Chicken Cups
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeño Poppers
- Buffalo Chicken Nachos
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Oven Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 4 cups Cooked shredded chicken breasts, approximately 24 ounces
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Buffalo sauce
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- 8 ounces Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine cooked chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 6 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese and stir together until mixed.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes uncover the dish and sprinkle the remaining 2 ounces of cheddar cheese over the top. Place back in the oven to continue to bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and serve with chips, crackers, or veggies.