Gooey Gobbler Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The Gooey Gobbler is a grilled cheese sandwich piled high with roast turkey, smoked gouda and cranberry sauce. It’s a fall grilled cheese recipe that is perfect for using up those Thanksgiving leftovers!
One of my favorite things about fall is the food. I’m not talking pumpkin lattes. I mean good, wholesome, comfort food. The kind of food you cook on a cold, rainy afternoon that just makes you feel warm and happy. There are so many comfort food recipes I love but a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of hot soup have to be at the top of my list. Of course as I’ve gotten older my taste in grilled cheese sandwiches has become a little more refined. No more American cheese for me!
We’re so excited to be partnering with Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread today to share this awesome grilled cheese recipe! All thoughts and opinions are 100% our own.
The Gooey Gobbler has a lot of great fall flavors going on. It starts with two slices of thick, soft, Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread. If you’re a grilled cheese fan you know that the bread is just as important as the cheese and the new Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread is perfect for creating the ultimate fall grilled cheese recipe! It has thick, flour-dusted slices that can support a sandwich overflowing with delicious ingredients. Those thick slices mean that the bread toasts perfectly on the outside but stays soft and fluffy on the inside. Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread has a great flavor too. It is made with olive oil, sea salt, and a touch of honey and it doesn’t have any high fructose corn syrup or added colors or flavors. It perfectly complements a grilled cheese and doesn’t overpower the other ingredients.
Onto that thick, soft bread goes a homemade sage butter made by dicing up fresh sage and combining it with softened butter. It ensures that the bread crisps up perfectly on the outside and it complements the thick slices of turkey on the inside. Along with a great bread a grilled cheese requires an awesome cheese. The Gooey Gobbler Grilled Cheese Sandwich uses smoked gouda and I absolutely loved the smoky flavor with the turkey and sage butter. The final ingredient is cranberry sauce. We all know that cranberry sauce and turkey is the perfect pairing and the tart tang of the cranberry sauce put this grilled cheese sandwich over the top.
Hosting a small gathering for the holidays this year? Check out our post on The Best Way to Cook Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving Dinner for 3 ways to make a juicy turkey!
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread
- 1 tsp Fresh sage, , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Salted butter, , room temperature
- 3 slices Smoked Gouda
- 1/2 c Leftover Thanksgiving turkey, (or oven roasted turkey breast)
- 1 tbsp Cranberry Jam
- Begin by mixing the fresh sage with the room temperature butter and set aside.
- Add 1.5 slices of Gouda to one slice of bread. Next, add the leftover Thanksgiving turkey and cranberry jelly. Place the remaining Gouda on top and cap with the remaining slice of bread. Evenly smear the sage butter onto both exteriors of the sandwich and set aside.
- Grill the sandwich in a cast iron skillet until the bread is golden brown and the smoked Gouda has melted (approximately 5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and let sit for 1 minute before slicing in half.
This year it’s going to be Gooey Gobblers for everyone the day after Thanksgiving. There is no better way you could use up all of those Thanksgiving leftovers!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread.