These low carb Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers are bell peppers filled with thinly sliced steak and topped with melted provolone. It’s an easy dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
This recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers is one of those low carb dinner recipes that everyone in the family can enjoy. Thinly sliced steak seasoned with salt and pepper, topped with sauteed onions, and melted provolone cheese, all stuffed into a perfectly cooked bell pepper. Yum!!
What Peppers Do I Use for Stuffed Peppers?
I know the first thing someone will say is that you don’t put green peppers on a Philly Cheesesteak, but they are the perfect container for a low carb dinner (you’ve got to try these Mexican Stuffed Peppers too)! I like to use green bell peppers for this recipe but you can substitute with red, orange, or yellow bell peppers if you prefer.
Do You Cook Stuffed Peppers Covered or Uncovered?
For this recipe I cover the dish with the peppers and bake while I prepare the filling. Then once the peppers are stuffed and covered with cheese I bake them for the remaining time uncovered. This helps ensure that the peppers bake long enough to soften them without overcooking the filling. I think the extra bake time is necessary for green bell peppers since they tend to be firmer than the red, orange, and yellow varieties.
Can You Freeze Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers?
Yes! stuffed peppers are a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze. To freeze stuffed peppers follow these instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and once heated add diced onions cooking until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add steak to the skillet and continue to cook until steak is cooked through, approximately 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice bell peppers in half from top to bottom and remove seeds and white ribs. Place peppers cut side up in a casserole dish with about 1/4 inch of water on the bottom.
- Sprinkle each pepper with a little salt and stuff peppers with steak filling and top each with 1 slice of Provolone cheese.
- Place stuffed peppers in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the peppers cool completely then place them in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat put frozen stuffed peppers in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STUFFED PEPPERS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Low Carb Recipes board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
- 4 Green Peppers
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup Yellow onion diced
- 1 pound Steak thinly sliced
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F
Slice bell peppers in half from top to bottom and remove seeds and white ribs. Place peppers cut side up in a casserole dish with about 1/4 inch of water on the bottom. Cover the dish with foil and place in the heating oven.
In a skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and once heated add diced onions cooking until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
Add steak to the skillet and continue to cook until steak is cooked through, approximately 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste
Remove the peppers from the oven. Sprinkle a little salt in each pepper and stuff each with the steak and onion mixture.
Place one slice of provolone cheese over each pepper and place back in the oven , uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the peppers have softened.