This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UndeniablyDairy #CollectiveBias
This creamy, cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole is made with fresh zucchini, rich cream, and lots of cheese! It is an easy zucchini bake recipe that everyone will love.
Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole
Did you guys know that June is Dairy Month? Yep, that’s right, it’s time to celebrate all of that amazing cheese, cream, and milk that we use in so many of our favorite recipes. Since summer seems to finally be here, I wanted to share one of my favorite summer casseroles with you. This easy Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole is a great way to use up all of that fresh summer zucchini and squash!
Add some dairy, whether it’s cream, milk, or cheese, to any simple recipe and it becomes instant comfort food. This simple baked zucchini recipe is one that everyone in my house enjoys, in fact it’s the recipe that got my picky kids to try zucchini for the first time. That gooey, creamy, cheese called to them and before they knew it, they were eating a veggie that they would have turned their noses up at any other time. I mean, what’s not to love? It’s fresh zucchini covered in a rich, creamy cheese sauce made with Gruyere cheese, and perfectly melted Parmesan cheese on top. Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole is one of those recipes that never has any leftovers :).
I love dairy because it not only makes every dish a little more amazing, it’s also packed with protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Real cow’s milk only has a few simple ingredients: milk, vitamin D, and vitamin A, and it has 9 essential nutrients for children, and 6 for adults. Dairy is part of a well-balanced diet, and it is a delicious way to connect your family to real food in a way that everyone will enjoy.
What You Will Need to Make Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole:
- Zucchini – Grow your own, pick it up at the local farmer’s market, or grab some at the grocery store. If you want a little variety, you can mix in some yellow squash too.
- Onion – This adds a little more flavor to the dish, and onion goes so well with the slightly nutty flavor of the Gruyere cheese.
- Heavy Cream – This makes the cheese sauce thick, creamy, and totally amazing. You can find it in the diary section of the grocery near the milk. Sometimes it is referred to as heavy whipping cream.
- Cheese – For this recipe, you’ll use Gruyere cheese and Parmesan cheese. If you can’t find Gruyere, you can substitute Swiss cheese, and of course, you can always substitute low-fat or nonfat cheese if you prefer.
How to Make Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole:
- Saute diced onions with a little butter, cooking them until they begin to soften.
- Add minced garlic and the sliced zucchini to the pan and continue cooking for 2 minute to slightly soften it.
- Place the onions, garlic, and zucchini in a greased casserole dish.
- In a small pot, add the heavy cream and, stirring constantly, bring it to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
- Add the Gruyere cheese and a portion of the Parmesan cheese to the pot and cook until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the zucchini and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake at 450 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until the Parmesan cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
When the baked zucchini casserole comes out of the oven, it is bubbling in creamy, cheesy, goodness, and the Parmesan on top is perfectly browned in a way that makes you want to reach in and grab a bite. It’s the perfect combination of wholesome dairy and fresh veggies!
Head to your local grocery store today and grab some of your favorite dairy products, including some cream and cheese, and celebrate Dairy Month with this easy Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole!
Want more cheesy recipes?
CHEESY BAKED ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Casserole board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
- 4 Zucchini medium, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 5 ounces Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Gruyere Cheese grated
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Add onion to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften. Then add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Add zucchini to the onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until zucchini just becomes tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Place zucchini mixture in a greased 8 x 8 inch casserole dish.
In a small pan add the cream and , stirring constantly, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Stir in Gruyere cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese until it is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
Pour the cheese sauce over the zucchini and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 15-20 mins or top is golden brown.