No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream
No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream is colorful swirls of easy homemade ice cream filled with sprinkles that is perfect for a mermaid party…or just a hot summer afternoon treat!
No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Wet Ones® Hand Wipes. The opinions and text are all mine.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but unicorns are pretty hot right now. There are unicorn frappuccinos, unicorn hot cocoa, unicorn cupcakes…Obviously I’m a little fixated on the food side of this unicorn trend but I’m here to tell you that mermaids are really where it’s at. Forget those horses with horns! Iridescent fins and long days playing in the water make mermaids the coolest thing around, especially with summer coming and all of those birthday pool parties just around the corner!
My daughter is kind of obsessed with mermaids, but her birthday is during the winter so pool parties are a little harder to come by. When I was asked by Wet Ones® Hand Wipes to share some of the fun summer activities I have planned, our recent afternoon sitting on the deck eating No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream in the sunshine seemed like the perfect fit! The ice cream is really easy to make and we had the best time making it together. My daughter and I planned to make mermaid ice cream and we went to the store together to pick out sprinkles, food coloring, and the few simple ingredients we needed to make the ice cream.
How to Make No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream:
- Whip heavy cream into a soft whipped cream.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and a little vanilla extract (my daughter’s favorite ice cream flavor).
- To make it “mermaid ice cream” split the mixture into 4 bowls and added food coloring to each bowl, stirring it until the color is mixed in. I used teal and purple food coloring and I made three shades of teal (light, medium and dark) just by adding a little more teal food coloring to each bowl. I made one bowl of dark purple. Mermaids come in all colors so you do you and make your no-churn mermaid ice cream any color combination you like!
- Once you’ve got your bowls of colored ice cream mixture drop them into a loaf pan (I used a Pyrex one but you can use a metal one also). You want to kind of make it random, so do a couple of scoops of one color in one spot then a couple of scoops of another color in another spot, just plop them all into the loaf pan randomly.
- When you’re done take a knife and drag it through the mixture 2 or 3 times making swirls. Then top the ice cream with whatever sprinkles you’ve chose. We used gold sprinkles, and different size pearl sprinkles and pearl chocolate balls.
- Once the sprinkles are on the ice cream the loaf pan gets covered with plastic wrap and goes into the freezer for 5-6 hours.
I think waiting for the ice cream to freeze is the hardest part of this whole recipe! Kids aren’t known for their patience, especially when there is mermaid ice cream in the freezer, so to keep her distracted a little longer we also made cones for our No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream. We melted blue and white chocolate melts and dipped sugar cones in the two colors before rolling them in white sprinkles. Then we turned them upside down on a lined baking sheet to dry until the ice cream was ready.
You should have seen her face when I told her the ice cream was ready! We scooped it up and went outside and sat on the deck in the sunshine. It was one of our first hot days of what I hope is going to be an amazing summer! That blue and purple ice cream dripped everywhere but she stuck with it and got through the whole cone. I did too!
She said it was the best ice cream she’s ever had so I see many No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream days in our future. I can’t wait :).
Want more ice cream recipes?
- Caramel Oreo Fudge Ripple Ice Cream
- No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- No Churn Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- No Churn Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- Heavenly Hash Frozen Yogurt
- Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
- Bacon Bourbon Peach Ice Cream
- Mini Ice Cream Pops
- Dragon Fruit Ice Cream
- Grilled Sweet Corn & Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
NO-CHURN MERMAID ICE CREAM
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dessert board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream
- 2 c Heavy Cream
- 14 oz Sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring, (your favorite mermaid colors)
- Any sprinkles you would like to use.
- Place a metal or glass (check that is it ok to freeze) loaf pan in the freezer.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the heavy cream and the vanilla. Mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk to the whipped cream and gently fold it together.
- Separate the ice cream mixture into four bowl and use food coloring to color each bowl one of your mermaid colors. Stir the food coloring in until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Get the loaf pan from the freezer and add the colored ice cream mixture to the bowl a few scoops at a time alternating colors and layering them on top of one another.
- When all of the ice cream mixture is in the loaf pan take a knife and drag it through the mixture 2 or 3 times.
- Top with your sprinkles.
- Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap and freeze for 5-6 hours.
I used this recipe once for plain ice cream. It was WAY too sweet!
No churn ice cream made sweetened condensed milk usually is ????
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea it was so easy to make ice cream at home without any fancy appliances. We tried this out yesterday and had it today. Although it was quite nice, I was wondering if you would know of any way to make it a little less sweet and perhaps taste less like cream? I’d love to experiment but I lack the time.
We will try a few other recipes and see if we can find a way to make it less sweet.
Have you tried a bit of rich plan yogurt to lighten up the flavors? I was thinking of cutting it with a high fat unflavored yogurt
I have not tried that but I think it sounds like a good idea. The texture will be different since yogurt doesn’t freeze exactly the same but I think it is worth a try!
Oh man this post has all the good stuff! What better way to enjoy the summer than covered in sticky, melty, sweet ice cream. Oh yea- make it mermaid ice cream!
Hi Melinda! I was trying to email you with a question but when I hit the envelope it doesn’t auto-populate your address. I’m hoping you can share some knowledge with me about ACTIVATE campaigns. That’s how I came across this fun post on Mermaid Ice Cream???? Thanks a bunch! Lisa
Hi Lisa, we are happy to talk to about Activate just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Love this! The recipe is super simple but incredi-YUM and the colors are irrisistible! My little girls would be so happy to see this at their birthday parties.
Thanks Jelli! Hope your daughters enjoy as much as mine did.
I need help, my colors all blended because my heavy cream part was not firm. Can I add coloring and let it freeze a bit and then add together?
Yes you can definitely let it freeze a bit and then stir together. You may get a slightly different texture to your ice cream since it sounds like the heavy cream wasn’t whipped enough.
Made this and was super yummy but it did not firm up like ice cream. What did I do wrong?
Brooke, not sure why it didn’t firm up. We have made this several times and never encountered this issue. How long did you freeze it for?
I’m not sure. Could you have taken it out if the freezer before it was completely frozen?
Could this be made ahead of time? I would love to make this for my daughters birthday but have a lot to put together!
Yes! I made mine a couple of days ahead of time. Just make sure you cover it with some plastic wrap or a lid so you don’t get freezer burn on the top.
Thank you so much. I would like to try all these recipes if I had the money and time lol.
Have you tried making this and freezing it in a silicon mold? I would love to make this ahead into preportioned servings using a silicone madeline pan that should arrive soon. We are having a mermaid party so I’m hoping it would look like little clams. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work but I won’t have much time to test with my mold.
I haven’t tried that but I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work. That is an awesome idea!!
hi please excuse the awkwardness of my question I’ve never been in the kitchen before so let’s a little weird for me but my niece’s birthday is coming up and I would love to make this recipe for her like it sounds really good but my question is can it be made or how can I make it using different flavors???????????????????
Hi Cynthia, you can use a different flavor extract than the vanilla that we have listed. If you want to make each color a different flavor then you can skip the vanilla extract in the instructions and instead add a small amount of different flavor extracts to each of the colored bowls of the mixture before swirling them together. Hope that helps.
This recipe is all sorts of happy! I need to make it for my niece… and myself… and everyone!!
Hey, so I really want to make this, but this doesn’t have measurements for the whipped cream. Is it the same amount as the heavy cream, or something else?
Hi Melanie, you put the heavy cream in the mixer with some vanilla and whip it until it forms stiff peaks, this is the whipped cream.
Thank you for sharing such a fun recipe – my 3 and 5 yro kids LOVED the making, the tasting and sharing the final product!!
While we basically followed your recipe . . . the kids were quite enthusiastic so the vanilla was increased to approx 1 tbs and we reduced the condensed milk by half (as this momma likes it less sweet). Despite our adjustments to the original recipe, the ice cream was quite tasty (to us) and we will be making this one again! Thanks 🙂
Seriously, this is so pretty! I want to say I’ll be making it for my daughter, but I’ll really be making it for me!!!
Oh my… I know my granddaughter would love This! Me too!
this looks so good. I want to make this for my birthday. its mermaid theme and it will help me out a lot. thanks
This looks so incredibly amazing & easy! I will be trying this soon with my girls. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
What a great idea!! I love it!!
Thanks for sharing, gonna get the ingredients and make tonight for sure!
I just made this ice cream for my niece, who’s turning 3! I changed up the colors because she’s in love with unicorns right now, but I have to say this is sooooo good, I literally licked all the bowls clean, and I’m a 30-something aged woman, lol! 😉 Thanks for sharing – delicious!!
I love to prepare desserts!!! And this ” MERMAID ICE CREAM” is looking delicious, will definitely gonna try it for sure. Thanks for sharing stuff.
Love this “NO-CHURN MERMAID ICE CREAM” , looks so delicious and unique stuff. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.
This No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream seems so delicious , will love to make this one .Thanks for sharing this one with us.
Thanks for sharing this no-churn mermaid ice cream , this one seems so delicious ,will love to make this one
Love this no-churn mermaid ice cream, this one seems so delicious . Will love to try this delicious one , thanks for sharing this one with us .
This no-churn mermaid ice cream seems super delicious , this one seems super delicious and I am super excited to try this one. Thanks for sharing this delicious ice cream recipe with us.
This no-churn mermaid ice cream seems delicious and amazing . Super excited to try this one, thanks for sharing this one with us.
this looks so good. I want to make this for my birthday. Thanks for the recipe
Thank you for sharing this no-churn mermaid ice cream , seems amazing and unique . Will love to share with others too.
super excited to try this no-churn mermaid ice cream , this one seems delicious and unique . Thanks for sharing this one.