One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
Thank you Minute® Rice for sponsoring this post and making it quick and easy to get dinner on the table! All opinions are 100% my own.
This easy One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice recipe is filled with Tex-Mex flavor and cooked with rice, corn, and black beans to make a complete meal in one pot!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase a product we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
You know we’re all about keeping things simple but delicious around here and I think we can all agree nothing is quite as easy as a one pot meal. I’ll admit I used to be a skeptic. It took some convincing and a few really good recipes to show me the light. I was just never sure that the rice or noodles would really cook all of the way through. Minute® Rice helped me get over my fears. It gives you great-tasting, fluffy white rice in just 5-10 minutes, depending on the type of rice you choose. Now here I am a few years later and one pot meals like this One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice are weekly occurrences at my house.
With school back and session and September being National Rice Month I thought this would be the perfect time to share this easy meal. I make no secret about my love of southwestern flavors and this dish has them all. You start with chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer). I used boneless and skinless for this recipe but if you want to make them with the skin on feel free! Toss the chicken in a blend of southwestern spices and brown it in your pan with some olive oil. This usually takes about 3 minutes per side and you may need to do it in batches. When the chicken has been browned place it to the side and add your onion and garlic, cooking them until they are soft. When you are done add the can of tomatoes, black beans, and corn and cook with some of the same spices you used on the chicken. Then add your chicken pieces back into the pan, along with some water and bring everything to a boil and reduce to a simmer cooking uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through. Last but not least add the Minute Rice, cover, and cook on low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and chicken is cooked through.
Now I used Minute® White Rice. It’s enriched, precooked long grain white rice that cooks in just 5 minutes but Minute Rice has lots of other options too. Their Minute® Whole Grain Brown Rice is precooked parboiled 100% whole grain brown rice with the same nutritional values as regular long cooking brown rice but ready in just 10 minutes! It has a great rich nutty flavor that I love. If you want to try something a little difference than just rice they also have Minute® Multi-Grain Medley . It is a mix of four, gluten free, grains: brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice and quinoa and it also has a slightly nutty flavor and a different texture with the wild rice and quinoa. It is pre-portioned in four separate bags to make preparation easy and it cooks in 10 minutes. If you use either of those just make sure to add that extra 5 minutes to cook the rice completely.
Once it is ready garnish it with a little fresh cilantro and a scoop of sour cream and you’re done! No one will ever guess the whole dish only takes about 35 minutes to make and only leaves you with one pan to wash! When I made it we had plenty of the beans, corn, and rice mixture left over and it makes a pretty good lunch all by itself so consider this recipe a two for one :).
One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 4 Chicken thighs, , skinless & boneless ( you can use breasts if you prefer)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, , divided
- 1 Onion, , diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, , minced
- 1 c Corn kernels, , canned and drained
- 1 c Black beans, , canned and drained
- 14.5 can Diced tomatoes, (I prefer a spicy blend of jalapenos and green chilis), undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c Water
- 2 c Minute® white rice
- Cilantro and sour cream for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper, 1 Tbsp cumin, 1 Tbsp chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss chicken in the mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil, then add the seasoned chicken. Cook chicken until browned on each side.
- Once browned set chicken to the side while you prepare the rice.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the skillet along with the diced onions. Cook until onions begin to soften, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for one minute.
- Add corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, 1 tsp Chili powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Stir mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and place the chicken back in the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Reduce heat to low, add Minute Rice, and cover cooking until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream and enjoy!
Join The Riceipe Club® and have more awesome recipes and special offers from Minute® Rice sent straight to your inbox!
If you like this make sure you check out some of our other one pot meals.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice.
thank you for sharing this wonderful dish at the Thursday Favorite Things link party.Pinned and watch for your feature on Monday xo
One pot meals are my live saver. This is total perfection for a weeknight dinner fix without all the dishes! Love!
looks delicious. can’t wait to try it and the parmesan chicken recipe too.
It looks delicious. I wish this were in front of me right now.
I made this today! I added a roasted poblano pepper, some
Chipotle seasoning, and some ground jalapeño pepper,
And garnished it with sour cream. Delicious!