Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers
This Pepper Steak Stuffed Pepper recipe combines the fun of stuffed peppers with the Asian flavors of my favorite Chinese take-out dish, pepper steak.
Everyone has their favorite dish at the local Chinese restaurant right? For me it is Pepper Steak. If you haven’t had it before Pepper steak is a stir-fry made with sliced of beef cooked with bell peppers and tossed in a mouthwatering sauce made from soy sauce and ginger thickened with cornstarch. My Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers recipe combines the delicious flavors of pepper steak with the fun of stuffed peppers for an easy weeknight dinner.
Pepper steak is a really simple dish to make and it is so simple to turn the classic dish into Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers. You start with strips of beef marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and cornstarch. You split the marinade into two portions and the meat and half of the marinade goes into a freezer bag and sits in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. The other half of the marinade goes in a sealed container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to make the pepper steak you saute some onions and garlic in a pan and then add steak slices a few at a time cooking until they are cooked all the way through. The sauce is really what makes this dish so you’re going to want a little more. That’s why we made that extra marinade. You set the steak and onions aside and add the remaining half of the marinade to the pan letting it cook until it begins to thicken. That ginger and soy combination has such a rich flavor and as it cooks the smell fills the house.
With the steak and that delicious, fragrant sauce prepared it’s time to stuff the peppers. I use 4 whole peppers with the caps cut off and the ribs and seeds removed to make my Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers. Each one is stuffed with a 1/4 cup of rice, topped with a tablespoon of sauce, some beef, and then another 1/4 cup of rice, a tablespoon of sauce, and a little more beef. You place them in a casserole dish with a little water in the bottom (just enough to cover the bottom which helps to keep the peppers from burning) and cover the dish with aluminum foil before baking at 400 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until peppers are tender. If you have any sauce left I suggest topping each one with a bit more sauce before serving them up to your family.
Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers
- 1.5 lbs Beef top sirloin steak
- 1/2 c Soy sauce
- 2/3 c Water
- 4 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 whole Green bell peppers
- 2 c Rice, cooked
- Whisk together soy sauce, water, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and cornstarch together in a bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture in half placing ½ in an airtight container and placing it in the refrigerator and pouring the other half into a freezer bag filled with the steak slices. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator to marinate 30 minutes - 3 hours.
- Add oil to pan and saute onion and garlic until they begin to brown. Remove from pan and set to the side.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan then remove ½ of the steak from the marinade and begin cooking the steak in batches. Cook the steak 2-3 minutes until it is browned. Remove the cooked steak from the pan and start the next batch continuing until all of the steak is cooked.
- When the steak is done set it to the side and add the unused portion of marinade, that you placed in a separate container, into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add the steak and onions back to the skillet, and stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
- Cut the caps off of the green peppers and remove the seeds and ribs from each one.
- Stuff each pepper with ¼ c of cooked rice, 1 tablespoon of sauce, and a few slices of beef, then add another layer of cooked rice, 1 tablespoon of sauce and a few more slices of beef.
- Place stuffed peppers in a casserole dish with enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Pepper Steak Stuffed Peppers is an easy stuffed pepper recipe that is a fun twist on classic tomato and beef stuffed peppers.
If you’re looking for more easy weeknight dinner recipes try these!