This Beef Stroganoff recipe is a classic comfort food made with beef, and mushrooms in a creamy sauce.
Summer is still going strong here in Maryland but with the kids heading back to school this week my mind has turned towards fall and all of the warm, hearty, comfort food that goes along with it. How do you define comfort food? I feel like it can mean so many different things to different people. For me it is usually a dish that is rich and creamy, or warm and hearty. Something that evokes happy memories from childhood and cheers me up in the cold dreary days of fall and winter.
Today’s Beef Stroganoff recipe is comfort food at its finest. It was always one of my favorites when I was a kid. My grandma used to make it for me and I still find myself craving it as an adult. Hearty strips of sirlion steak coated in flour and cooked in a skillet. Mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter. Then a rich and creamy sour cream and Worcestershire sauce to coat everything. As if that wasn’t enough you serve it over rice, or my personal favorite, egg noodles, because we all know carbs are deliciously comforting :).
Usually I’ll tweak my grandma’s recipes a little. Update them with some things I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older and taken on my own cooking style, but I still make this recipe exactly the way it was written the day I found it in her recipe box. Perfect comfort food just the way grandma made it!
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 pound Sirlion steak, cut in ½ inch wide strips
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ cup Onion, finely diced
- ½ pound Mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 8 ounces Egg Noodles
- Pound beef until it is ¼ inch thick. Cut into ½ inch wide strips about 3 inches long.
- Flour steak well and add beef to the butter heated in a heavy skillet. Brown on all sides, turning frequently.
- Remove to a bowl and cover to keep hot.
- Add onions and cleaned sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Cover and cook slowly 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Return meat to skillet, stir in the Worcestershire and sour cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve at once with rice or egg noodles.