Traditional Beef Stroganoff
This traditional beef stroganoff recipe is a delicious comfort food dish of tender beef and a sour cream sauce served over egg noodles.
This easy stroganoff recipe is one of those classic recipes everyone needs to know how to make.
Tender beef is quickly browned and then cooked into a delicious, creamy, mushroom sauce made with sour cream. If that wasn’t enough you serve it over egg noodles that get perfectly coated in all of that sauce.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need with some suggestions for substitutions:
- Sirloin steak – You can use sirloin, ribeye, or steak tips.
- Flour –You use this to thicken the sauce.
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Butter – You can use either salted or unsalted.
- Onion – You can use a white, yellow, or even a red onion if you prefer.
- Mushrooms – You can use your preferred variety like white or baby bellas.
- Worcestershire – Really not substitute for this kitchen powerhouse.
- Sour cream – This forms the base of the creamy sauce, but for a healthier version, you could sub in Greek yogurt.
- Egg Noodles – You can use your preferred brand.
Step 1 – Prepare the beef. Use either two pieces of plastic wrap or a large plastic bag to sandwich the steak in and then pound it into an even ½ inch thick steak with a mallet. If your steak is thick enough, you can cut the steak in half widthwise to create two thin pieces of steak. Once flattened, cut the steak into ½ inch wide strips that are about 3 inches long.
Finally, mix the flour, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl and then toss steak strips in the flour mixture.
Step 2 – Brown the beef stripes. Once the beef strips have a good coating of flour, add it to butter melted over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Brown the beef on all sides, making sure to turn frequently.
Once browned, remove the beef and cover it to keep it hot.
Step 3 – Cook the onions and mushrooms. Add in the onions and sliced mushrooms to skillet and then cover to cook it slowly for 5 minutes. Stir the veggies occasionally.
Step 4 – Bring it all together. After 5 minutes, return the beef to the skillet and then stir in the Worcestershire and sour cream. Finally, season with salt and pepper as desired and serve immediately over egg noodles or rice.
Best Beef for Stroganoff
For stroganoff we recommend ribeye, sirloin, or steak tips.
Beef stroganoff works best with tender cuts of beef that have good marbling. Marbling is the white streaks in the meat which is the fat. This higher level of fat equals tender, flavorful beef.
Cheaper cuts of meat, like chuck roast or short ribs won’t work well because they need to cook low and slow to become tender. Since the recipe sears the meat quickly, you need to start with a tender a cut of meat.
What is Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
Stroganoff sauce is a light brown sour cream gravy. Though there are several variations that can work, our recipe uses a combination of Worcheshire, onions, mushrooms, and salt and pepper.
To help thicken the sauce, you need a small amount of flour, which we toss the steak in.
What to Serve It With
Beef stroganoff pairs great with egg noodles. In fact, if you get this dish at a restaurant you will almost certainly have it served over egg noodles.
Other good choices include mashed potatoes or rice. Either one provides a great base.
For a lower carb meal, you can skip the added carbs and serve with a side of cauliflower mash or your favorite steamed or roasted vegetables.
If you want to go keto we have a great keto beef stroganoff recipe!
How to Store It
You can easily make this stroganoff recipe ahead of time for an even easier weeknight dinner.
To make ahead, follow the recipe for the beef and sauce as described and then let it cool completely. Do not cook the noodles.
Refrigerator – If refrigerating, spoon the cooked stroganoff into an airtight container and then place in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Freezer – To freeze, place it in a plastic freezer bag or sealed container. Make sure to get as much air out as possible. You can then store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat It
Refrigerator – To reheat, place the stroganoff in a skillet with sauce and warm over medium heat until completely warmed through. While the stroganoff reheats cook the noodles following the package instructions.
Freezer – To reheat frozen stroganoff, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then place in a skillet and warm over medium heat until fully warmed through. While the stroganoff reheats cook the noodles following the package instructions.
Looking for More Comfort Food Recipes?
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Smoky Chipotle Chili
- Lasagna Roll Ups
- Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
- More Comfort Food Recipes…
Traditional Beef Stroganoff
- Sandwich steak between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until it is an even ½ inch thick. Alternatively, if you have a thick piece of steak you can cut the steak in half widthwise to create two thin pieces of steak. Cut the steak into ½ inch wide strips about 3 inches long.
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt, and pepper together. Toss steak strips in the flour mixture. Set floured steak aside.
- Add half of the butter to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat until melted
- Place half of the floured steak to the skillet and brown for 1-2 minutes per side. Set browned meat on a clean plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan followed by the remaining beef and finish browning the meat. Add browned beef to the plate as well.
- Add onions and cleaned sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Cover and cook slowly for 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions.
- Stir in the Worcestershire and sour cream and cook with the mushrooms and onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef to the pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles.