These easy Banana Split Cookie Cups are perfect for summer parties…or just a fun dessert for your family!
I don’t know what it is about summertime but it makes me think of ice cream. I guess it is the warm weather and sunny days. What’s better after playing in the sun all day than a big ice cream cone or, my personal favorite, a banana split topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, nuts, and a pretty red cherry on top.
Since a fully loaded banana split sundae isn’t exactly on my diet I came up with a compromise. Little banana split sundaes in a bite size chocolate chip cookie cup! Sounds amazing right? You know Melinda and I LOVE cookie cups. We’ve filled them with ice cream, and cheesecake. We’ve made them into s’mores, and stuffed them with chocolate and peanut butter. We even used them as a crust for a mini lime cheesecake. I knew they would be the perfect edible bowl for the bite of banana split that I had been craving. It’s pretty simple too. You start by making your cookie cups using your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, or sore bought cookie dough. Bake them in a mini cupcake pan and let them cool completely. when they are ready add a slice of banana to the bottom of each cup.
Then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or go crazy and use strawberry or chocolate! Melinda worked in an ice cream shop in her past life and she used a melon baller to make the perfect mini ice cream scoops. Instead of the usual hot fudge topping we used Magic Shell so that it would harden when it hit the ice cream. It worked perfectly!
Then it was just a matter of topping it with your favorite sundae toppings. I’m a whipped cream, peanuts, sprinkles, kind of girl. Oh! and a cherry on top of course! It is the perfect little bite when you are craving a banana split. You can even make them ahead of time just add the banana slices and the ice cream scoop and the Magic Shell chocolate topping. Then put the in the freezer until you are ready to eat them. Take them out, add your favorite toppings and you’ve got an awesome treat. I think they would be great for parties too. What kid (or adult) wouldn’t love these?
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (we used a pre-made dough but you can make your own if you prefer)
- 4 c Vanilla ice cream
- 24 slices banana
- Magic Shell chocolate topping
- Whipped cream
- 24 Maraschino cherries
- Sprinkles and nuts for garnish
- Preheat oven according to instruction on cookie dough package/recipe.
- Roll chocolate chip cookie dough into 1 inch balls.
- Using a mini muffin tin place one ball in each muffin spot, and using your tart tamper (or your fingers) press the dough down creating a cup shape.
- Bake the cookie cups according to the instructions on the cookie dough package/recipe.
- Once cookie cups have baked remove them from the oven and use the tart tamper again to press the cookie down where it has puffed up.
- Let the cups cool completely.
- Add a banana slice to the bottom of each cookie cup.
- Use a melon baller to scoop one scoop of ice cream into each cookie cup.
- Top with Magic Shell and let it harden.
- Finish with whipped cream, sprinkles and/or nuts and a cherry on top.