This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% our own. #RedVelvetLove #CollectiveBias
Red Velvet Sweet Rolls combine red velvet cake, chocolate, and cream cheese frosting into one amazing breakfast treat!
Melinda and I both agree that Valentine’s Day isn’t just about being romantic, it’s about taking a minute to tell all of the people around you, friends, family, kids, significant others, how much you love them and appreciate them. Since Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday this year Melinda and I have been busy planning a little brunch for friends and family. We’ve made treats for the kids and we’ll be making these amazing red velvet sweet rolls.
We came up with the sweet rolls recipe after seeing M&M’s® Red Velvet candies at Walmart. Red velvet cake and chocolate sounded so good, but since we are having a brunch cake seemed a little decadent. Cinnamon rolls on the other hand are just the right answer. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them so they are perfect for brunch. No one wants to get up at 5 am to start baking! Inspired by M&M’s® Red Velvet we decided to substitute the cinnamon for chocolate. We grabbed a bag of M&M’s® Red Velvet and a bag of M&M’s® and headed home to start baking.
Making sweet rolls is easy but it takes a little time because you need to wait for the dough to rise, so be prepared to be patient. This recipe is a little different because it uses a box of red velvet cake mix in addition to flour. That saved us the time, and mess, of dying the dough a dark red. We mixed up all of the ingredients and let the dough rise (twice!). Then we rolled it out in a rectangle and poured melted butter over it, sprinkled it with a mixture of brown sugar and white sugar, then covered it with crushed M&M’s® and M&M’s® Red Velvet.
Then the messy part, starting at one end roll it up tightly into a long roll. The butter is going to ooze out a little just be prepared. Once you have it rolled up cut it into 1 inch pieces and place them in a baking dish. You’ll want to put them somewhere warm to let them rise again and when they are ready you put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While they are still hot slather them in cream cheese frosting so it melts into them and covers them completely.. Once they are cooled you can add a little more icing to give them a prettier look and then sprinkle them with whole M&M’s® Red Velvet candies.
OMG guys, they are soooo good! The red velvet and chocolate plus cream cheese is out of this world! Our friends and families won’t have any doubt about how much they mean to us after they have one of these…if we didn’t love them so much we’d eat all of the sweet rolls and pretend we never made them!
- 2 packets Active dry yeast
- 2½ c warm water
- 1 box Red velvet cake mix
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 c + 1 c All-purpose flour
- 1 c melted butter, unsalted
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 c crushed M&M's® Red Velvet/M&M's®, crushed
- 2 c M&M's® Red Velvet/M&M's®, whole
- 1 8oz package Cream cheese
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- Add luke warm water to a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast packets over it.
- Let yeast sit for 5 minutes.
- When the yeast becomes foamy add the Red Velvet cake mix, vanilla and salt.
- Stir mixture together and then slowly begin adding the 5 cups of flour, one cup at a time.
- Use your hands to knead the dough into a round ball.
- Cover the bowl with a clean dishtowel and place in a warm spot to let the dough rise for 1 hour. *
- Once the dough has risen, knead it back into a ball, and cover it once again to let it rise for another hour.
- When the dough is ready use that last cup of flour to lightly dust your work surface with flour. You may also need to add some flour to the dough if it is sticky. You want to be able to work with it without it sticking to your hands.
- Roll the dough into a rough rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Pour melted butter over the dough , leaving a little space around the edges.
- Mix the brown sugar and white sugar then sprinkle the sugar mixture over the butter.
- Sprinkle the crushed M&M's® over the brown sugar.
- Starting from the far side, roll the dough toward you. Make sure to keep the roll as tight as possible.
- Once it is rolled up pinch along the seam to seal it.
- Use a knife to mark the roll at 1 inch intervals. Then cut the dough into rolls.
- Place the rolls in a buttered 9" x 13" baking dish (you will need 2).
- Place the baking dish in a warm place and let the rolls rise for about 20 minutes.
- While they are rising preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once rolls have risen place them in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When they have finished baking spread ½ of the frosting over them while they are still hot, letting it melt into them.
- Let them cool completely and then spread the remainder of the frosting on them and sprinkle them with M&M's® Red Velvet.
- *If my kitchen is cold I often heat the oven to 200°F and then open the door and let it cool down. When it is just warm I sit the bowl inside the oven with the door open.
- Using a mixer combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- You want the frosting to be a thick but easily spreadable consistency. Add more milk if needed.