Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Red velvet cinnamon rolls are a fun spin on classic cinnamon rolls made with a box of cake mix to give you that red velvet cake flavor. Top it with a delicious cream cheese frosting and you’ve got the perfect Valentine’s day breakfast!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and nothing says “I love you” like waking up to a beautiful bouquet of flowers and breakfast in bed.
Whether you are celebrating Valentine’s Day, Galentine’s Day, or you just want to bring a little extra color and joy into your home. I’ve got some simple tips for easy gift ideas and an extra special recipe for red velvet cinnamon rolls that the special people in your life are going to love!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Grocery to Gorgeous Valentine’s Day Gifts
You guys know I’m all about one-stop shopping and Safeway is making life a little easier with their awesome limited-edition Valentine’s offerings from debi lilly design™ x Valentines Collection in the floral department.
You’ll find everything you need to create your own beautiful arrangements by mixing and matching exclusive debi lilly design x Valentines collection bouquets and vases.
I paired up a debi lilly design Lovely Illusion Slim Vase with a dozen roses and they are still going strong a week later. Just look at those gorgeous roses!
You can even break up a large bouquet into mini bouquets and arrange them in small vases to give to friends or to brighten up a few rooms around the house.
If you want something that lasts a little longer there are also beautiful debi lilly design candles and cute pot covers that you can place over potted plants to add a little color.
Breakfast in Bed
Flowers are just the first part of the perfect Valentine’s Day. How about starting the day with cake for breakfast? Ok, not really cake but pretty close! While you’re at Safeway make sure you grab everything you’ll need to make homemade red velvet cinnamon rolls.
The recipe starts with a box of red velvet cake mix and with a little yeast and some cinnamon and sugar you end up with ooey, gooey, cinnamon rolls topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting.
Trust me, no one will doubt you love them after they take a bite of these!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Choose from O Organics®, Open Nature®, and Signature Brands (Signature SELECT™, Signature Farms®, and Signature Cafe® ) high-quality products to make an amazing breakfast the whole family will love.
For the rolls:
- Active dry yeast – You’ll need two packets of yeast or about two and a half teaspoons if you have loose yeast.
- Water – You’ll need to make sure the water is warm. It should feel lukewarm or just slightly warm to the touch this helps the yeast get all warm and cozy and start to bloom.
- Red velvet cake mix – Any brand of cake mix will work for this. Just make sure it is a standard 15.25 ounce box.
- Vanilla extract – I prefer real vanilla extract, but imitation can work too.
- Salt – Salt helps bring out the flavors when baking.
- All-purpose flour – I use regular all-purpose flour and would recommend not using speciality flours, such as cake flour, for this recipe because you need a heartier flour for all of the kneading and rolling.
- Unsalted butter – You’ll need to soften the butter for this recipe. I usually just leave mine out while I do all of the other steps but if you forget (happens to me all the time!) then you can warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it is softened but not melted. If some melts no worries, you’ll be using it as a paste with sugar and cinnamon.
- Sugars – You’ll need both granulated sugar and brown sugar.
For the frosting:
- Cream cheese – Full fat works best.
- Powdered sugar – Don’t substitute granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract – Go for real vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Milk – To thin the icing out a bit.
I shopped at Safeway, but you can also find all of these high quality items at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop! I use it weekly now and it couldn’t be easier. I place my order online and then pull up and my groceries are put in my trunk. It’s my FAVORITE way to grocery shop!
Making cake mix cinnamon rolls is super easy. Don’t be intimidated by all of the steps! Most of the time you’re just doing other things around the house while you wait for the dough to proof and the payoff is well worth it when you taste these flaky, delicious treats.
Step 1- Check the yeast. Add lukewarm water to a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast packets over it. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes. If the yeast becomes foamy, it’s ready for the next step. If it doesn’t, you will need to get new yeast because the yeast is not alive, which means the dough won’t come together right.
Step 2 – Make the dough. When the yeast becomes foamy, add the Red Velvet cake mix, vanilla, and salt and stir it all together.
Slowly begin adding the 5 cups of flour, one cup at a time, stirring mixture in between each cup of flour. I use a silicone spatula to move the mixture around and slowly bring the dough together. When I get to the 4th or 5th cup and everything is becoming stiffer I get in there with my hands and work the flour into the dough.
Once the dough has come together, pour it out onto the counter and use your hands to knead the dough into a round ball.
Step 3 – Let it rise. Lightly coat a clean bowl with nonstick spray or just a thin layer of vegetable oil. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a clean dish towel. Place in a warm spot to let the dough proof for 1 hour.
Once the dough has risen, knead it back into a ball on the counter. Place it back in the same bowl and cover it once again to let it proof for another hour.
Step 4 – Roll it out. After the second rise time, lightly dust your work surface with flour. If the dough is sticky, you may need to add some flour to it. You want to be able to work with it without it sticking to your hands or the surface.
Roll the dough into a rough rectangle so that it is about ¼ inch thick and approximately 24 inches x 12 inches (it can be slightly bigger).
Step 5 – The filling. In a bowl combine the softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir it together to form a paste. Gently spread the paste over the dough leaving a 1 inch space uncovered along the outside edges (this will help you seal it together at the end).
Step 6 – Roll it up. Starting from the long edge furthest from you, roll the dough toward you. Make sure to keep the roll as tight as possible. When you get to the end gently pinch the edge of the dough together with the roll to seal it up.
Step 7 – Cut the rolls. Use a knife to mark the roll at about 1.5 inch intervals and then cut the dough into rolls.
Step 8 – Bake. Once you cut the rolls, place them in a buttered 9″ x 13″ baking dish lined with parchment paper and a buttered 8″ x 8″ baking dish lined with parchment paper OR 2 9 inch round cake pans greased and lined with parchment paper.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. As it heats, place the cinnamon rolls in a warm place to let them rise for a final 20 minutes. I like to sit it on top of the oven as it preheats.
Place the rolls in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Step 9 – Frost and serve. While the rolls bake combine the frosting ingredients and whisk together until fully combined. When the rolls come out of the oven allow them to cool for 5 minutes and then frost them with the cream cheese icing. Serve warm.
Make Them Ahead of Time
You can make these cinnamon rolls ahead of time. Just follow the instructions right up to the part where you put them in the baking dish. Then cover them tightly with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning take them out and sit them on top of the oven while it preheats. When they are nice and warm they will rise one final time doubling in size (this will take about 1 hour) and then you can pop them in the oven and bake according to the instructions.
Keep things simple this year and shop at Safeway for everything you need to make it a special day for the people you love. Nothing says “I love you” like a dozen roses and a warm cinnamon roll 🙂
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 packets Active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups Warm water
- 15.25 ounces Red velvet cake mix
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 6 cups All-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 4 ounces Cream cheese
- 1 cup Confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- Add luke warm water to a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast packets over it.
- Let yeast sit for 5 minutes.
- When the yeast becomes foamy add the Red Velvet cake mix, vanilla and salt.
- Stir mixture together and then slowly begin adding the 5 cups of flour, one cup at a time.
- When all of the flour has been added and the dough has come together use your hands to knead the dough into a round ball.
- Cover the bowl with a clean dish towel and place in a warm spot to let the dough rise for 1 hour. (See Note 1 for tips)
- Once the dough has risen, knead it back into a ball, and cover it once again to let it rise for another hour.
- Prepare your baking dish by lining the bottom with parchment paper and greasing the sides. You can use two 9 inch round cake pans or you can use 1 9×13 inch pan and 1 8×8 inch pan.
- When the dough is ready use the remaining cup of flour to lightly dust your work surface with flour. You may also need to add some flour to the dough if it is sticky. You want to be able to work with it without it sticking to your hands.
- Roll the dough into a rough rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick and approximately 24" x 12"
- In a bowl combined the softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Work together until it forms a paste.
- Gently spread the cinnamon sugar mixture over the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the outside edges. Go slowly and be careful not to rip the dough as you spread.
- Starting from one long edges, roll the dough toward you. Make sure to keep the roll as tight as possible.
- Once it is rolled up pinch along the seam to seal it.
- Use a knife to mark the roll at 1.5 inch intervals. Then cut the dough into rolls.
- Add the rolls to your prepared pans making sure to leave a little space between rolls so they have room to expand as they bake.
- Place the baking dish in a warm place and let the rolls rise for about 20 minutes.
- While they are rising preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once rolls have risen place them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When they have finished baking spread the frosting over them while they are still hot, letting it melt into them.
- Using a mixer combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- You want the frosting to be a thick but easily spreadable consistency. Add more milk if needed.
- If my kitchen is cold I often heat the oven to 200°F and then open the door and let it cool down. When it is just warm I sit the bowl inside the oven with the door open.