Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor.
These fluffy Baked Carrot Cake Donuts are glazed with a simple cream cheese frosting for a new twist on a classic Easter dessert!
It’s that time of year again. Spring is in the air and soon the Easter Bunny is going to be hopping down the bunny trail hiding Easter eggs full of goodies. Easter brunch if one of my favorite holiday meals to plan. Breakfast food, lunch food, finger foods, there are so many recipes choices! I like to make lots of little bite-sized foods, and casseroles that can be made ahead of time, because really, who wants to get up at 6 a.m. and start cooking? Not this girl!
And while you’re planning out your menu make sure you don’t forget about dessert! An Easter classic is carrot cake, but a brunch gives you a little more wiggle room to play with it. You could make cupcakes, or….these super cute, and tasty Baked Carrot Cake Donuts. Oh my gosh, these things are so good! Breakfast and dessert all in one… of course I might be a little biased, donuts are totally my weakness!
These simple baked donuts are extra easy to make because they start with a boxed cake mix. Yep, that’s right, a boxed cake mix. You add an egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and water, and then pipe it into this cool donut pan. What you end up with are these light and fluffy carrot cake donuts that you’re going to want to eat before they even have enough time to cool! Don’t though, because we all know the best part of carrot cake is that delicious cream cheese frosting. Since these are donuts, I kept the topping a little lighter and made a cream cheese glaze. Once the donuts are completely cool you just dip the top into the glaze and then put them on a rack to dry.
That’s all you need right there, but I know you’re wondering about those adorable mini carrots right? They are really easy to make and 100% edible. Check out our tutorial here.
Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
- 1 box Carrot cake mix
- 1 Egg
- ¼ c Vegetable oil
- ¼ c Buttermilk
- ¾ c Water
- ¼ c Cream cheese, , softened
- ½ c Powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix all donut ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Put batter in a large piping bag and fill each donut cup ½ way. Tap pan on the counter to settle the batter.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until top of the donuts spring back when you press down on them.
- Let donuts cool for 3 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool completely.
- Mix all glaze ingredients together, adding milk one tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches a runny consistency.
- Dip the top of the cooled donuts into the glaze and place them on a wire rack to dry.