Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira
This easy Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira is even better than the original! Tender, juicy, chicken smothered in a rich, mushroom Madeira sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese, and served on a bed of red-skinned mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus. What’s not to love?
If you guys are anything like me you have that one dish at your favorite restaurant that you order every single time you go. Mine is the Chicken Madeira from Cheesecake Factory. Chicken, mushroom sauce, cheese, and asparagus all on top of creamy mashed potatoes. Yes please!
Since I crave it way more often than I actually go out to eat I decided it was about time I created my own chicken madeira recipe, and guys, I think I nailed it!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You Need
- Chicken Breasts – You’ll use approximately 2 large chicken breasts which you’ll slice in half and pound to ¼ inch thickness before cooking.
- Butter – You’ll add a little butter to the pan to cook your chicken.
- Mushrooms – You can use cremini, white button, or portobello mushrooms.
- Madeira Wine – this wine is what gives the dish its distinct flavor but if you’re looking for a substitute we have listed some alternatives below.
- Beef Broth – this added to the Madeira wine gives the sauce a rich flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You can use fresh mozzarella or bagged shredded mozzarella.
- Asparagus – Fresh asparagus is the perfect compliment to the rich, flavorful sauce.
How to Make It
Prepare the Chicken – Take thinly sliced chicken breasts and pound them out to about ¼ inch thick. Then add a little salt and pepper to each side, heat butter in a pan and cook them for about 5 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Make the Sauce – The real star of the dish is the sauce.It is a simple brown sauce that has a rich, slightly sweet flavor from the Madeira wine that is perfectly balanced with the savory flavor of sautéed mushrooms. You start by sautéing mushrooms in butter until they are tender. Set them aside and in the same dish add Madeira wine and beef broth, bringing them to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let it reduce and thicken into a sauce .
Assemble – Add the mushrooms and chicken to the pan with the sauce, making sure to spoon the sauce over it, and then top with thinly sliced mozzarella cheese and steamed asparagus. Cover with a lid and let everything cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
To make this exactly like the Cheesecake Factory version serve the Chicken Madeira over mashed potatoes. It’s like comfort food heaven.
Madeira wine is a pretty important part of this recipe because it gives the sauce a very distinct flavor. If you can’t find it you can substitute it with another fortified wine such as port or Marsala. If you don’t cook with wine you can skip the Madeira and add more beef broth but the flavor will not be the same.
Save a little time and cook the sauce and mushrooms the night before. Toss them together and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to use it place it in a skillet and heat over low heat until warmed through. Follow the recipe instructions from there.
Looking for More Easy Chicken Recipes?
- Keto Chicken Piccata
- Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups
- Sheet Pan Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker chicken Cacciatore
- One Pot Parmesan Chicken and Orzo
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Tortellini
- More Chicken Recipes…
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts, approximately 2 large chicken breasts sliced in half and pounded to ¼ inch thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Madeira Wine
- 1 ½ cups Beef Broth
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Asparagus, trimmed
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add 3 tablespoons of butter. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place them in the hot pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan, you may need to cook in batches. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan along with the sliced mushrooms. Cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender and cooked through, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside with chicken.
- Add the Madeira wine and beef broth to the same pan, turning up the heat and bringing the mixture to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and then reduce to a simmer. Keep cooking until mixture of reduced by half and the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Approximately 10 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks steam your asparagus until it is crisp tender.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back to the sauce. Top with the steamed asparagus and sliced mozzarella cheese. Place a lid on the pan and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
This post first appeared on The Slow Roasted Italian website