Skinny Chicken Piccata
Lighten up one of your favorite dishes with this low carb, gluten-free, Skinny Chicken Piccata recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that we may be compensated if you click a link and purchase something. Thank you!
Alright guys, how is everyone doing with those New Year’s Resolutions? Sticking to your diets? Eating healthier? It’s been 10 whole days and I haven’t had one cookie…I feel like that is pretty impressive ;). Melinda and I have also been working on lightening up some of our favorite recipes so we can have all of the flavors we love without the guilt. First up was this Skinny Chicken Piccata.
Chicken Piccata is one of Melinda’s favorites. A delicious lemon and caper sauce poured over lightly breaded chicken breasts. We made our version low carb, gluten-free, and light by eliminating the flour that is usually used to thicken the sauce, and by breading the chicken in Parmesan cheese rather than bread crumbs.
This dish is all about bright, bold flavors and the minor changes didn’t hurt them at all. The salty capers and tangy lemon were perfect with the Parmesan crusted chicken that we cooked lightly in a little olive oil. Instead of serving it with pasta we served it over steamed spinach and I’m telling you it was a pretty amazing lunch. Melinda and I both agreed it was just as good as the original, maybe better since we didn’t have to feel guilty about eating it.
Skinny Chicken Piccata
- Place each chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them to 1/4 inch thick.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper on each chicken breast, then place Parmesan cheese in a bowl and coat the chicken breasts with the cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and once it is hot place the chicken breasts in the pan and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken breasts and set the aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the saute pan and add shallots to the pan. Cook for 2 min, or until they begin to soften, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and chicken broth to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- When the liquid has reduced by half add the capers and lemon juice, cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts and serve over steamed spinach.
Who says you have to sacrifice flavor when you’re dieting?! We’ve got more lightened up recipes to come, until then, stay strong! Those next 5 lbs will be gone before you know it :). And even if you’re one of those lucky people who isn’t trying to lose weight you still can’t go wrong with a healthier recipe that has just as much flavor as the original.
If you like this make sure you check out our Dieting and Healthy Eating Board on Pinterest for more recipe ideas.