Italian Antipasto Skewers
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine .
These easy Italian Antipasto Skewers are made with layers of Italian meats, cheeses, and vegetables. They make a great appetizer for parties, or a simple keto lunch for busy weekdays.
These easy Italian Antipasto Skewers are one of those all-around, good-for-any-time, recipes that take hardly any effort to make but pack a punch of flavor.
These simple skewers are made with layers of cured Italian meats, delicious fresh cheese, and vegetables. They are keto-friendly and can be made ahead of time so they are perfect for lunch, on-the-go keto snacks, and they make an amazing appetizer for summer parties.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commision. Thank you!
What You’ll Need:
- Primo Taglio® Prosciutto – This is an Italian dry-cured ham that is thinly sliced. It is perfectly salty and practically melts in your mouth.
- Primo Taglio Italian Dry Sliced Salame – Salame is another cured meat with a peppery, savory flavor.
- Primo Taglio Fresh Mozzarella Cheese – Fresh mozzarella cheese is a must-have. It has a soft, creamy texture, and a rich milky flavor. All of Primo Taglio cheeses are made with high quality milk and depending on the type of cheese some are naturally aged up to 2 years.
- Artichoke Hearts – These are one of my favorite things! Artichoke hearts are soft and tender, with a slight sweetness. I used regular, unseasoned, artichoke hearts for this recipe but if you want to add a little extra flavor you can use marinated artichoke hearts.
- Roasted Red Peppers – You can usually find roasted red peppers in the same aisle as the olives. They have a sweet, smokey flavor that I love!
- Olives – There are lots of olives to choose from, some are marinated, and some are in a brine. I like to use Italian Castelvetrano olives because they are perfect for snacking. They add just the right pop of salty flavor at the end.
- Fresh Basil – I use sweet basil for these skewers because I think it has a slightly milder flavor than regular basil. It adds just the right amount of bright, fresh flavor to the skewers.
We use Primo Taglio meats and cheeses for these simple skewers because they are made with quality ingredients using traditional recipes and methods. Many of their meats are made using whole muscle meat with no binders or fillers, and Primo Taglio doesn’t use any artificial flavors, colors, or MSG** (** With the exception of some classics like American cheese and certain value meats.)
I got everything I needed at Safeway in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area, but you can also find Primo Taglio products at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Putting It All Together
These are so easy to put together. You just need all of your ingredients and a 5 inch wood skewer. I highly recommend a skewer with a knot at one end to keep the ingredients from slipping off.
You can assemble the layers in whatever order you like but I suggest ending with an olive to hold everything on.
There is no wrong way to do this so have fun with it!
What Other Ingredients Can I Use?
The great thing about these skewers is you can customize them however you like. Want more meat double up on the prosciutto or salame. Can’t find mozzarella? Try provolone or Parmesan. Add more ingredients to the skewers or substitute with your favorites.
Here are a few ideas:
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Provolone cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Grilled zucchini
Can I Make Them Ahead of Time?
Yes! Part of what makes these antipasto skewers so awesome, other than the fact that they’re delicious, is that you can make them ahead of time. Assemble your skewers and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I keep a batch in my fridge all the time for a quick keto snack or lunch. They are perfect for summer picnics, and they make a great appetizer for parties.
Pick up a few items from Primo Taglio on your next Safeway shopping trip and make your own Italian Antipasto Skewers!
Italian Antipasto Skewers
- 2 ounces Primo Taglio Italian Dry Sliced Salame
- 3 ounces Primo Taglio® Prosciutto
- 8 ounces Primo Taglio Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 16 ounces Roasted Red Peppers
- 5 ounces Artichoke Hearts
- 12 Olives
- 24 leaves Fresh Basil
- Cut three 1/2 inch slices of mozzarella. Cut each slice into 4 quarters.
- Cut 6 artichoke hearts in half lengthwise.
- Assemble the ingredients on a 5-inch skewer. Start with a piece of salame. Fold it in half and then in half again to form a wedge shape. Press that onto the skewer.
- Follow it with a piece of folded basil, then a wedge of mozzarella cheese, another folded basil leaf.
- Cut the roasted red pepper into a 2-inch long 1-inch wide strip, fold, and slide onto the skewer.
- Cut a slice of prosciutto in half and roll it up. Press it onto the skewer, followed by half of an artichoke heart, and one olive.