Instant Pot Short Ribs
Instant Pot Short Ribs are a faster way to make delicious, tender, beef short ribs braised in red wine. Using an electric pressure cooker cuts your time in half!
Instant Pot Short Ribs
If you love braised short ribs then this easy recipe for Instant Pot Short Ribs is going to change your life!
Red wine braised short ribs are kind of my jam. They’re one of those things that sound fancy and taste great but they really aren’t that hard to make. The thing is they have to cook for a loooong time.
To get that fork tender meat that makes braised short ribs so amazing you have to cook them low and slow, usually about 4-5 hours. Enter the Instant Pot!
Using an electric pressure cooker I only had to cook my short ribs for 2 hours instead of 4 hours. You get the same amazing flavors and tender meat in about 1/2 of the time!
What Ingredients are in Braised Short Ribs?
- Short ribs
- Bay leaves
- Red wine
How to Make Shorts Ribs in the Instant Pot:
- Use the SAUTE setting to brown the ribs on each side, locking all the juices in. This takes approximately 2 minutes per side. Depending on how many ribs you are cooking you may need to work in batches. Set the browned ribs aside.
- Keep the Instant Pot set on the SAUTE setting and add onions and carrots to the pot. Cook until they begin to soften
- Add the red wine to the pot and let that cook for 5 or 6 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half.
- Once the vegetables are ready and the wine had reduced, add the herbs, ribs, and broth to the pressure cooker. The amount of broth varies from 2-4 cups depending on the size of your short ribs and how much space they take up in the pot. You want the liquid to come up to the halfway point on your short ribs. If you have them stacked this may mean the bottom ribs are submerged, that’s ok.
- Lock the lid in place, turn the valve on top to SEALING and set it to high pressure for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- When the time is up turn off the Instant Pot let it do a natural release for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up turn the valve to VENTING and release the remaining pressure. Get ready for that amazing braised short rib smell to fill the room! Test the meat with a fork and it should pull apart easily.
Tips for Making Short Ribs in the Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker:
- If you don’t like to cook with wine you can substitute and extra 1/2 cup of broth and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Wrap your herbs in a piece of cheesecloth before you place them in the pressure cooker. That way you get all of the flavor and at the end you can just pull the little bundle out and throw it in the trash!
- There is a decent amount of fat in the braising liquid, to remove it easily set the meat aside and pour the liquid into a bowl. Place the bowl in the freezer (or in the fridge overnight if you are making your short ribs ahead of time) and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. That hardens the fat and makes it easy just to skim it right off the top. Then you can heat it back up and pour it over the ribs along with the veggies.
Braised short ribs go perfectly with mashed potatoes or creamy polenta, something rich and creamy to soak up all of the juices.
If you’re eating low carb or keto try serving it over this amazing cauliflower mash.
It makes a totally delicious meal and I’m so excited that using the Instant Pot made it so much quicker. We’re going to be eating braised short ribs a lot more often around here :).
How to Reheat Short Ribs
Short Ribs are even better the next day. Make these 2-3 days ahead of time and place them in an airtight container in the fridge overnight (put the juices in a separate container to make it easier to remove the excess fat).
When you are ready for them place them in a casserole dish or large dutch oven, pour the juices back over them and heat them up in a 350 degrees F oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Looking for More Easy Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Keto Instant Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Turnip Greens & Collard Greens
- Keto Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
- Instant Pot Boston Baked Beans
- More Instant Pot Recipes…
Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Salt and pepper raw short ribs on each side.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
- Place short ribs into the pot browning on all side, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove beef and set to the side.
- Keep the Instant Pot set to Saute and add the carrots and onions to the pot. Cook vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add red wine and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Wrap the herbs in a cheese cloth (optional) and add herbs to the pressure cooker on top of the carrots and onions.
- Place beef short ribs back into the pot on top of the herbs.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot. See note below about the amount.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and lock it into place. Turn valve to sealing.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- When done cooking turn off the Instant Pot and let it do a natural release for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up carefully turn the valve to venting and release the remaining pressure. Unlock the lid.
- Remove the meat from the pot and pour the remaining liquid and vegetables through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Throw away the vegetables and herbs.
- Serve the short ribs with or without the juices.