Crunchy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad is an easy recipe for summer parties and potlucks. This simple side dish is made with crunchy noodles, fresh veggies, and a delicious dressing that brings all the flavors together.
Have you ever had Ramen Noodle Salad? I have to admit I thought it sounded a little strange when someone brought it to a friend’s barbecue but after I took that first bite I was sold! Now it’s one of my favorite salads!
This easy salad is somewhere between a cabbage salad and a pasta salad…only the pasta is made with Asian ramen noodles that are raw, crunchy, and totally addictive! The sauce is salty, and sweet, and tangy all at once. It brings the whole dish together. This is the salad you have to make for your next cookout!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What Ingredients Do I Need?
- Broccoli Slaw – This is a coleslaw mix you can find near the standard cabbage slaw. It is made from broccoli and it’s totally delicious! Some people prefer cabbage for their Asian salad. If that’s you then you can substitute the broccoli slaw for regular cabbage slaw or even thinly slice cabbage yourself.
- Broccoli – I like some broccoli florets in my salad too so I buy broccoli crowns and cut them into bite size pieces to mix in the salad.
- Red Cabbage – This is optional, some people skip it, some slaw mixes may already include it. I love the pop of color so I always add a little extra to my Ramen Noodle Salad.
- Ramen – Obviously the most important part! For this recipe you’ll use instant ramen (chicken flavored!) which is a packet of dried ramen noodles that comes with flavor packets. When you add water it makes ramen soup but for ramen salad you’ll serve the noodles uncooked breaking up the noodles into crunchy chunks. Make sure you save the flavor packets that come in the packet as they will be used to give the dressing lots of extra flavor!
- Sunflower seeds – Yum!! Sunflower seeds add a slightly different texture and I love their flavor. You can also substitute slivered almonds if you prefer.
- Green onions – A little extra color and flavor for the salad.
- Olive Oil – Better quality = better salad!
- Rice Vinegar – If you can’t find rice wine vinegar, or don’t want to buy something extra you can substitute red wine vinegar, or even apple cider vinegar.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce adds that delicious salty flavor to the dressing.
- Sugar – This balances out the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Sesame Seeds – They add a little flavor and a lot of drama. I even managed to find black sesame seeds. I love the look!
What Other Ingredients Can I Add to Ramen Noodle Salad?
The great thing about this easy Asian salad with Ramen is that you can’t really get it wrong. There are so many different versions and all of them area delicious. The only thing you have to have in the salad are ramen noodles and the ramen seasoning. Here are a few more ingredients you can add or substitute in your own version of Ramen Noodle Salad:
- Red Pepper – finely diced or cut into thin strips.
- Shredded carrot
- Slivered almonds – toast the almonds or serve the straight out of the bag.
- Cooked chicken – make your own chicken with an Asian sauce or shred up a rotisserie chicken.
- Sesame oil – add a few drops of this to the dressing for a little extra sesame flavor.
Can You Make it Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make this salad up to a day in advance but keep in mind that the noodles will soften as it sits. I prefer my noodles super crunchy so I don’t make it more than 3 hours in advance.
If you want to make it a day ahead of time I suggest combining all of the ingredients EXCEPT the noodles and placing them in the refrigerator overnight. Then about an hour before serving add the Ramen noodles to the salad like crunchy Asian croutons!
This easy side dish can be served cold or room temperature so it’s perfect for potlucks and picnics. Take it to your next BBQ and watch it disappear! Your friends are going to love something different than the usual potato salad and I promise you won’t have any leftovers to take home!
Looking for More Easy Salad Recipes?
- Sour Cream Potato Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Mango Chutney Dressing
- Keto Antipasto Salad
- Easy Grape Salad
- Easy Three Bean Salad
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Panzanella Salad
- Portuguese Chickpea Salad
Ramen Noodle Salad
- 12 oz Broccoli Slaw Mix
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Red Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 packets Chicken Ramen , break up the noodles into chunks and keep the seasoning packets for dressing
- ½ cup Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 packets Ramen Seasoning
- Place the broccoli slaw, broccoli florets, red cabbage, Ramen noodles (set seasoning packets to the side for the dressing), sunflower seeds, and green onions in a bowl and toss together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients: oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and both packets of ramen seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss until fully coated.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (See note 1 about making it ahead of time)
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to make it a day ahead of time I suggest combining all of the ingredients EXCEPT the noodles and placing them in the refrigerator overnight. Then about an hour before serving add the Ramen noodles to the salad like crunchy Asian croutons!
This recipe was first published on May 29, 2019. It was republished with updated tips on May 7, 2020.