This Red Velvet Bundt Cake is a beautiful and easy Valentine’s Day dessert recipe filled with cream cheese and topped with a cream cheese glaze.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
I was out doing a little post little holiday shopping this weekend and with Christmas over and the new year started all of the stores have already moved on to Valentine’s Day. The aisles were full of chocolate heart candies and all sorts of pretty Valentine’s Day cards. I know some people might think it is too soon but I love it. I think it’s fun to have the next holiday to look forward to! This lovely red velvet bundt cake was something that Melinda and I made last year for Valentine’s Day and since all of the stores have started putting out their Valentine’s Day stuff I thought it was about time for us to share it with you.
This is an easy red velvet cake recipe that us made extra special with the addition of a cream cheese filling and a simple cream cheese glaze. You start with a basic red velvet cake batter and you fill a well greased bundt pan with about 1/4 of the batter. Then you spoon the cream cheese filling mixture evenly over the batter and top it with the remaining red velvet cake. The cake goes into a 350 degree F oven to bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the cake comes out clean. It’s a pretty big cake so don’t worry if it take a little longer than you expected, just make sure you keep an eye on it. The cream cheese filling falls to the bottom as it bakes and you end up with this pretty layer of creamy cheese in the base of your cake.
Once the cake has cooled completely it can be finished with a light cream cheese glaze. I absolutely love the bundt pan we used so I just used the glaze to accentuate the design. You can use as much or as little glaze as you’d like either way the finished cake will be delicious!
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 oz. Red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ c Confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the liquid ingredients.
- Using a mixer slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until they combined. Do not overmix.
- Prepare your bundt pan by spraying the inside liberally with non-stick cooking spray. Then flour the inside of the bundt pan tapping it gently at the end to remove the excess flour.
- Fill the bundt pan about ¼ of the way up with the red velvet cake batter.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling evenly over the batter then add the rest of the batter to the bundt pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the cake comes out clean.
- When the cake is done remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes then remove the cake from the bundt pan placing it on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Once the cake is completely cool drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Mix Cream cheese and sugar together until fully blended.
- Add egg, vanilla, and all purpose flour to the cream cheese mixture and mix until smooth.
- Combine ingredients in a mixer adding the milk a tablespoon at a time until it is the right consistency the drizzle over the cake.
Oh, and if you aren’t ready for Valentine’s Day no worries, this cake tastes just as good whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just treating yourself for no reason at all! 😉