7UP Marinade for Steak
This post has been sponsored by 7UP. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
7UP® Marinade is an easy way to add flavor to your skirt steak. Marinate your steak for a few hours in this 7UP® based recipe and then toss it on the grill for perfectly tender grilled skirt steak every time!
7UP Marinade for Steak
Sundays are fundays at my house. It’s one of the few days during the week when we’re all home and don’t have a million things to do. Last weekend we had some abnormally warm weather here and I took that as an opportunity to fire up the grill for dinner. This quick and easy 7UP Marinade is one of my tricks for really flavorful, perfectly tender grilled skirt steak every time. You can use Diet 7UP as a substitute to make it low carb.
7UP MARINADE FOR STEAK
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner Recipes board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
I know you’re probably re-reading that sentence like, “7UP Marinade?!” Seriously guys, it’s a thing. 7UP is a common ingredient in Korean recipes like white kimchi and galbi (grilled short ribs). When I was growing up we always had 7UP in the house (still do!) and my mom made grilled chicken using a 7UP Marinade. The acid in the 7UP helps tenderize the meat and the sugar in the soda creates a little caramelization when it is grilled. It turns out 7UP is the perfect way to infuse a little flavor into a chicken breast.
I’ve taken the recipe and made a few tweaks to it. The original chicken marinade recipe calls for soy sauce but I subbed it out for worcestershire sauce. They have similar flavors (did you know that worcestershire sauce with a little water is often listed as a substitute for soy sauce? It’s true!) and I think the worcestershire sauce gives you more of the typical grilled steak flavor. I also skipped the horseradish because…well I’m not really a fan.
The marinade is really simple to make you pour all of the ingredients together in a freezer bag and then you add your steak. I like skirt steak with this kind of marinade. It’s a slightly tougher piece of meat that really benefits from a marinade. The bag goes into the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight. The longer you let it sit the more the 7UP marinade works it’s magic on the skirt steak!
When you’re ready to eat you fire up the grill and sear the steak for about 5 minutes on each side. Then thinly slice it and serve it with chips and salsa, or fresh guacamole, and a can of 7UP. It’s a pretty awesome way to spend your Sunday.
Tips for making 7UP Marinated Grilled Skirt Steak:
- You can add 1 tablespoon of horseradish to the marinade if you like.
- Pat the skirt steak dry once you remove it from the marinade. You will get the best sear if it is dry when it goes on the grill.
- Let the steak rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain to get the most tender slices.
7UP Marinade Skirt Steak
- Add all ingredients to a gallon resealable bag and mix together.
- Place skirt steak in the bag with the marinade and seal the bag tightly before placing it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill.
- Remove steak from the marinade and pat dry. Discard the excess marinade.
- Place on the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until you reach your desired temperature.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then slice across the grain before serving.