Air Fryer Burger
Air fryer burgers provide all the juiciness of the classic hamburger any time of year with no grill needed.
Nothing says summertime quite like a juicy burger. While we love to grill burgers, sometimes the weather has other plans. Rather than worry about weather, we like to pull out our air fryer and make a delicious version of the classic dish.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need
- Ground beef – I suggest 93/7 ground beef which is the leanest you can find. I would normally recommend a burger with more fat in it but I find with the air fryer that the less fat released the less you have to worry about the air fryer smoking as the burger cooks.
- Worcestershire sauce – Worcheshire sauce adds a blast of flavor.
- Spices – Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper provide the perfect blend of seasoning.
How to Make Them
When you make hamburgers at home, you have to be ready to get your hands a bit dirty.
Mix the ground beef. First combine the ground beef, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, salt, onion powder and pepper in a bowl and mix it all together. To do this, use your hands (wash them well after mixing!) or a fork to mix all of the ingredients until well combined.
Make the patties. Once the burger meat is mixed well, you will need to form 4 patties that are about ¾ inches thick. Keep the burgers roughly the same size so the cooking time will be consistent and you won’t burn some while undercooking others. In general, thicker burgers will need more cook time while thinner ones won’t need as much time.
Add the burgers to the fryer. Open your air fryer and place the patties in the basket. You want to make sure to leave some space around the burgers. If you have a smaller fryer, you may need to cook them in 2 or more batches. You can keep the others warm in the oven if needed or keep the cooked ones covered.
Cook the burgers. Set your air fryer to 360 degrees F. Set the time for 8 minutes. When the timer goes off, flip the burgers and cook for an additional 8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
It takes approximately 16 minutes to cook a burger in the air fryer but the time will vary based on how thick your burger is and whether you start with fresh ground beef or if you are using frozen patties. For that reason you’ll want to make sure you check the internal temperature to get a perfectly cooked burger.
For safety reasons, you should cook your burger to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F. You can easily do this if you use an instant read thermometer . At this temperature, it will be medium-well with no pink inside. If you prefer, you can cook your burgers longer if you like them really well done. Just don’t go too long or you could end up with a very tough, slightly burned burger.
If you have frozen burgers on hand, you can cook them in the air fryer. You will need to set the temperature to 180 degrees F. And you’ll need to cook them for an additional 10 minutes or about 13 minutes each side.
Yes! If you want to make this an air fryer cheeseburger just stop the air fryer 3 minutes before it has finished cooking and add a slice of cheese to each burger. Then restart the air fryer and cook until the burger is the right internal temperature and the cheese is melted.
If you start seeing white smoke coming from the back of your air fryer while you are cooking your burgers don’t be alarmed. This white smoke is produced when the fat from whatever you are cooking in the air fryer hits the bottom of the pan. Items with higher fat content tend to produce smoke (this is why I’ve given up on making air fryer bacon!). I make my burgers with lean ground beef to reduce the amount of fat that drips out as the burger cooks but if there is some smoking I stop the air fryer and carefully wipe up the grease from the bottom pan (be careful it will be hot!) before returning the burgers back to the basket and starting the air fryer again.
I’m going to be honest, with burgers you’re always going to get a little smoking. It’s just the nature of the beast, but using a leaner meat makes a big difference and you still get an amazing, juicy burger!
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Air Fryer Burger
- 1.5 pounds 93/7 Ground beef
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Place ground beef, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl and use your hands or a fork to combine all of the ingredients.
- Form the ground beef into 4 patties approximately ¾ inch thick.
- Open the air fryer and place the patties in the basket. Do not crowd the basket! Depending on the size of your air fryer this may mean you need to cook the burgers in bathes.
- Cook the burgers at 360 degrees F for 8 minutes before stopping the air fryer, flipping the burger and cooking for another 8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (medium).
yummy, I will definitely make this next Sunday.