Everything Bagel Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
This Everything Bagel Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole is an easy breakfast or brunch recipe that turns your favorite breakfast bagel into a meal that feeds the whole family!
Full disclosure, I love breakfast. Bacon, cream cheese, bagels…those are my jam. This awesome everything bagel breakfast make ahead casserole takes everything I love to pack into an amazing breakfast sandwich and gives it to me casserole style.
The best part? It’s a make ahead casserole. Just like our ham and cheese english muffin breakfast casserole or cinnamon roll french toast casserole, you chop everything up, pour your eggs over it and then put it in the fridge for as long as overnight.
In the morning you pull it out and pop it in the oven and you have an amazing breakfast.
This is a great breakfast or brunch recipe for holidays or parties because you can assemble everything the night before, and it feeds a large crowd.
Or if you’re like me you can make it for your small family and eat it for breakfast and lunch and be perfectly happy :).
If you love easy breakfast casseroles, try our overnight french toast bake, make ahead eggnog breakfast casserole, sausage and spinach crustless quiche, and low carb ham and cheese crustless quiche as well!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Everything bagels – This is the type of bagel we prefer to use because it adds lots of flavor to the casserole but you can certainly substitute your favorite bagel if you prefer.
- Bacon – You’ll need to cook and chop your bacon before adding it to the casserole. That way it will be nice and crisp.
- Gruyere Cheese – This is one of my favorite cheeses! It’s similar to swiss so if you can’t find Gruyere you can substitute swiss cheese. If you don’t like swiss you can substitute with your favorite firm cheese (cheddar, gouda, or fontina would be delicious!)
- Cream cheese – What’s a bagel without cream cheese! You’ll dollop some softened cream cheese in so it bakes amount the bagel pieces.
- Eggs – This holds everything together and gives you that breakfast sandwich with egg flavor.
- Heavy Cream – The cream is whisked together with the eggs to help bake the whole casserole together.
- Salt & Pepper
- Chives – these are just for garnish but I loves cream cheese and chives on my bagel so I recommend you don’t skip them!
This is a super easy breakfast casserole to make ahead of time. Throw it all together and then stick it in the refrigerator overnight. pop it in the oven to bake in the morning and breakfast is served.
Step 1 – Prepare the dish. Grease a 13×9 inch casserole dish with a little bit of butter or nonstick spray.
Step 2 – Layer the dry ingredients. Add ½ of the everything bagel cubes to the casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the bacon. Then half of the Gruyere, and ½ of the cream cheese.
Repeat with another layer of everything bagel, bacon, Gruyere, and cream cheese.
Step 3 – Whisk together the wet ingredients. In a bowl combine eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Step 4 – Put it all together. Pour the egg mixture over the bagels making sure to cover everything with the liquid. You can press down on the casserole gently to kind of push it all down into the liquid and help the bread begin gto absorb some of it.
Step 5 – Refrigerate. Tightly cover the casserole dish and place in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
Step 6 – Bake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
When ready to bake cover the casserole with aluminum foil and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes. Then remove foil and continue to bake for 15 minutes.
Step 7 – Serve. When it has finished baking remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives and enjoy!
Substitutions for Meat and Cheese
We used bacon and gruyere cheese for our casserole but the whole point is to be like a breakfast sandich in casserole form so feel free to substitute our the bacon for sausage, ham, or any other breakfast meat you like. Just be sure that the meat is cooked before adding it to the casserole!
The same goes for the cheese. We like Gruyere but you could also try cheddar cheese, fontina cheese, gouda (or smoke gouda, yum!), or any other firm cheese that sounds good to you.
I would stick with cream cheese for this recipe because it adds a little creaminess to the dish.
How to Store It
Once you have baked the casserole you can store any leftover for up to 3 days. Let them cool completely and then wrap tightly or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To reheat set oven to 350 degrees F, cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
To reheat a single slice place in microwave and cook on high for 1.5 – 2.5 minutes.
Everything Bagel Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 5 Everything bagels, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces Bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 cups Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large Eggs
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Chives for garnish
- Grease a 13×9 inch casserole dish.
- Add ½ of the everything bagel cubes to the casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the bacon. Then half of the Gruyere, and ½ of the cream cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of everything bagel, bacon, Gruyere, and cream cheese.
- In a bowl combine eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bagels making sure to cover all of them.
- Tightly cover the casserole dish and place in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When ready to bake cover the casserole with aluminum foil and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes. Then remove foil and continue to bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives and enjoy!