Easy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Roasted Red Pepper Soup is a smoky tomato and red pepper winter soup recipe that is best served with a drizzle of cream and a crusty piece of bread or a grilled cheese sandwich!
This slightly sweet, smoky, roasted red pepper and tomato soup only uses a few simple ingredients so it is easy to make. It’s the perfect cold weather comfort food.
This easy soup starts with a tomato base made from canned tomatoes that I cook in a large saucepan along with along some sautéed onions and garlic. To add a little extra punch of tomato base I also add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.
Then comes the most important part, roasted red peppers.
If you’ve never had them roasted red peppers are red bell peppers that have been roasted either over a fire or, if you’re making them yourself, in the oven under the broiler. The charred skin peels away and you’re left with this smooth pepper that has a great smoky flavor.
I love making my own roasted red peppers but you can also use jarred roasted red peppers. You can usually find them in the same aisle as the canned tomatoes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes – We suggest using high quality canned tomatoes such as San Marzano.
- Onion – A yellow onion is best for a little added sweetness.
- Roasted Red Peppers – Make your own roasted red peppers or purchase a jar of them at the store. They also make a great sauce like the one we used for our Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Chicken.
- Broth – You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth for this recipe.
- Tomato Paste – this gives the soup a little more depth of flavor.
- Garlic – we prefer fresh garlic finely minced but you can also use jarred garlic or garlic paste.
- Salt & pepper– We use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper for this recipe.
How to Make Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Step 1 – Cook onions and garlic. Add diced onions to a large pot and sauté them over medium heat until the onions are tender. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Step 2 – Tomatoes and Peppers. Add the canned whole tomatoes with the juice , tomato paste, roasted red peppers, broth, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil and then cover with a lid and reduce the temperature to a simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes.
Step 3 – Blend. Once the soup is cooked remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup ingredients until the soup is smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
Step 4 – Serve. You can serve the soup immediately with a garnish of toasted croutons and a little heavy cream or you can make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it.
How Do You Make Red Pepper Soup Less Bitter?
We counteract any bitterness of the red peppers with the sweetness of the cooked tomatoes and onions. The tomatoes balance out the peppers for a delicious flavor.
How Do You Roast Red Peppers on the Stove?
Roasting your own red peppers is easy! You simply cut your peppers and place them on a baking sheet then broil them in the oven until the skin blackens and blisters.
Once they are done cooking you let them sweat to loosen the skin and then remove it before using the peppers.
For a more in-depth explaining check out our step-by-step tutorial on how to roast peppers in the oven.
Can You Freeze Roasted Red Pepper Soup?
Yes, you can freeze roasted red pepper soup. Let it cool completely and then portion out into airtight, freezer-safe, containers. Make sure to leave about 1 inch at the top for the liquid to expand as it freezes.
To reheat let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight then pour the soup into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
How Long Does Roasted Red Pepper Soup Last?
You can keep this simple roasted red pepper and tomato soup in the refrigerator for 5-7 days and in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Looking for More Easy Soup Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Caldo Verde
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Pressure Cooker Taco Soup
- Pressure Cooker Low Carb Sausage and Kale Soup
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Easy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 28 ounces Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 9 ounces Diced onion
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 16 ounces Roasted Red Peppers
- 16 ounces Broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- In a large pot over medium high heat saute onions until onions are tender. Add garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, roasted red peppers, broth, salt and pepper to the pot and stir together.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup ingredients until the soup is smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.