This easy Instant Pot Basmati Rice is a seasoned rice recipe made with fragrant cloves, cardamom, and bay leaves, made in under 15 minutes!
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
Instant Pot Basmati Rice is a delicious seasoned rice dish flavored with rich, warm, spices. It is an Indian-inspired rice that is super easy to make in your Instant Pot. In under 15 minutes you have fluffy, spiced rice that pairs perfectly with some Instant Pot Butter Chicken!
Using an Instant Pot is super easy but if you’re new to using one check out our How to Use an Instant Pot guide for a quick overview before you get started.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You Will Need to Make Instant Pot Basmati Rice:
- Basmati Rice – Basmati rice is a type of long grain rice from India. It has a nutty flavor and a slightly floral smell similar to jasmine rice which is commonly used in Asian cooking.
- Spices – My basmati rice is flavored with cloves, whole cardamom pods, and bay leaves. I little goes a long way so you only need a few of each for this recipe.
- Instant Pot – You can use an Instant Pot or any similar electric pressure cooker for this recipe.
How Do You Cook Basmati Rice in an Instant Pot?
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the butter (or ghee if you have it!) along with the spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the rice, water, and salt to the pot and lock the lid in place.
- Set it to HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes press CANCEL and let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Unlock the lid, remove the bay leaves, cardamon, and cloves, and serve.
How Long Do You Cook Rice in the Instant Pot?
Rice doesn’t require much time in the Instant Pot. I cooked my basmati rice on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes and let it do a 5 minute natural release.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Basmati Rice:
This seasoned basmati rice is delicious and could go with a wide range of dishes. It uses spices commonly used in Indian cooking so I would recommend:
Want More Instant Pot Recipes?
INSTANT POT BASMATI RICE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Instant Pot board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 ¼ cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter or Ghee
- 5 Whole cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Green cardamom pods
Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the butter (or ghee) and spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant. Press CANCEL to stop sauteing.
Add the rice, water, and salt to the pot and lock the lid in place.
Set it to HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes press CANCEL and let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 5 minutes.
Unlock the lid, remove the bay leaves, cardamon, and cloves, and serve.