Sour Cream Potato Salad
Creamy, crunchy, Sour Cream Potato Salad will add a little flavor to all of your summer potlucks! This easy red potato salad is the perfect side dish for picnics and BBQs.
One of the best thing about summers are the summer BBQs and picnics. I love parties that are potluck because that means I get to try all sorts of different recipes. This easy Sour Cream Potato Salad is one that I bring all summer long. It’s a red potato salad with a creamy dressing and crunchy add-ins that goes great with anything cooked on the grill!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What is the best kind of potatoes for potato salad?
You want a potato that is still firm enough to hold it’s shape after it is cooked. Waxy potatoes like red potatoes, new potatoes, or fingerling potatoes make the best potatoes for potato salad. Starchier potatoes like Russet potatoes tend to fall apart in a potato salad.
How long do I boil red potatoes for potato salad?
Place your unpeeled red potatoes in salted, boiling water for 10 – 15 minutes. You will know they are ready when you can easily stick a fork in them. Once your potatoes are cooked and have cooled slightly you can cut them into bite-sized pieces.
What takes this from a plain old red potato salad to an amazing Sour Cream Potato Salad is the dressing and the mix-ins. The creamy dressing is made with sour cream, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. I love the sour cream in this recipe because it is a little lighter than the usual mayonnaise, and it gives the potatoes a little bit of a tangy flavor.
The sour cream dressing is tossed with the chilled potatoes, red onions, cucumbers, green peppers, hard-boiled eggs, and pimento. All of those amazing add-ins add extra flavor and some crunch to the Sour Cream Potato Salad. Top it off with a sprinkle of green onions and you’ve got a summer side dish that is going to be the star of your next potluck!
Want more easy summer side recipes?
- Mustard Potato Salad
- German Potato Salad
- Crunchy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
- English Pea and Potato Salad
- Creamy Bacon Pea Salad
- Avocado Coleslaw
- Mexican Pasta Salad
SOUR CREAM POTATO SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Side Dish board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
Sour Cream Potato Salad
- 2 pounds Red Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon Salt, divided
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- ¼ cup Pickle Relish
- Dash of pepper
- ½ cup Green Pepper, diced
- ½ cup Celery, chopped
- ½ cup Cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pimento, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Red Onion, diced
- 2 Hard-boiled Eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Green Onion, sliced
- Fill a large pot with water and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Add whole red potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender. Drain water and let potatoes cool before placing them in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- While potatoes chill combine sour cream, mustard, pickle relish, remaining half teaspoon of salt, and a dash of black pepper in a bowl mixing thoroughly.
- Cut chilled red potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl with the green pepper, celery, cucumber, pimento, and eggs.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the potato salad and toss all of the ingredients together gently until they are well coated.
So glad I found this recipe. We are having a big graduation celebration this weekend so this is now on the menu – I love the addition of sour cream for added tanginess!