Creamy English Pea Salad
Whether you’re looking for a light and refreshing salad for a picnic or barbecue, or a tasty side dish for a family gathering, English pea salad is sure to impress.
The English pea salad recipe is a refreshing and delicious spring and summer side dish that’s packed with health benefits. It’s easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
And while it’s great for any occasion, it’s especially popular during Easter and other springtime holidays. Make it or our carrot salad as a simple, light side that is perfect for the holidays.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Frozen peas – We do not recommend substituting with canned peas as those have been cooked for longer and don’t have a firm enough texture to hold up to being tossed with the other ingredients. You can use fresh peas if you prefer you’ll just need to blanche them lightly before adding them to the salad.
- Red onion – Finely dice your red onion so you don’t crunch down on a large piece. It has a strong flavor so a little goes a long way!
- Cheddar cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese is a delicious addition to the salad!
- Bacon – Cooked bacon is crumbled and sprinkled into the salad for a smoky, salty addition.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo adds a creamy, tangy flavor to the salad dressing.
- Sour cream – this combines with the mayo to make the perfect dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar – Adds a little zing to the dressing. You can substitute with white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- Salt – We use kosher salt.
Substitute for Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise gives the dressing for this salad a creamy texture. It doesn’t take much but I know some people will want to substitute it for various reasons. If you want to skip the mayo you can substitute it with Greek yogurt. It will change the flavor slightly but it is still delicious.
Step 1 – Peas. Put frozen peas into a large bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes to begin to thaw.
Step 2 – Add-ins. Add red onion, cheddar cheese, and bacon to the bowl with the peas.
Step 3 – Dressing. Make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and salt in small bowl. Whisk together.
Step 4 – Combine. Pour the dressing over the peas and toss everything together gently. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
If you want to change this salad up a little try our English Pea and Potato Salad. It combines beautiful english peas with traditional potato salad for a delicious spring recipe!
Health Benefits of the English Pea Salad
Did you know that the English pea salad is not only delicious but also packed with health benefits? Here are some reasons why you should add this salad to your diet:
Rich in Fiber
The English pea salad is a great source of dietary fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation. Fiber can also help you feel full for longer, making it a great choice for weight management.
High in Vitamins and Minerals
English peas are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. These nutrients are important for maintaining healthy bones, skin, and blood vessels, as well as supporting the immune system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Green peas and English peas are not exactly the same, although they are related. English peas, also known as garden peas, have a slightly sweeter and more delicate flavor than green peas. They are typically larger and more round in shape than green peas, and they are often sold fresh in the pod. Green peas, on the other hand, are usually smaller and flatter than English peas, and they are often sold frozen or canned.
No, you do not need to cook the frozen peas before adding them to the salad. Frozen peas are typically blanched (briefly boiled) before being frozen, so they are already partially cooked. You don’t even need to thaw the peas they will continue to soften as they sit in the salad.
There are many ingredients that go well with frozen peas in a salad, depending on your personal preferences. Some common additions include chopped celery, bell pepper, and cucumber. Fresh herbs like parsley, mint, or dill can also add flavor and brightness to the salad. If you’d like to add a different meat to the salad ham is a great addition.
You can make a pea salad with frozen peas several hours in advance, or even the day before. In fact, allowing the salad to sit in the fridge for a few hours can help the flavors meld together and make the salad even tastier. Just be sure to store the salad in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
How to Store It
Store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Looking for More Easy Salads for Summer?
- Mustard Potato Salad
- Sour Cream Potato Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Greek Spaghetti Salad
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Creamy Bacon Pea Salad
- 5 cups Frozen peas
- 1/4 cup Red onion, finely diced
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Put frozen peas into a large bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes to begin to thaw.
- Add red onion, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
- Make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and salt in small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the peas and toss everything together gently.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
My kids go crazy over this recipe! I think the dressing and cheese make the dish! So yum!
Such a delightful spring recipe! I always have a bag of frozen peas in my freezer and with such a short ingredient list I can make this anytime.
Bacon & Peas! Two of my favorites and they were together in this scrumptious side dish. I can’t wait to make it again for an upcoming picnic we are going too. Delish!
This creamy bacon pea salad was fabulous! I loved how quick and easy it was to assemble, and how everyone went back for seconds. This is one recipe I’ll be making again and again!
This has made my mouth water! Yum!!
This is a perfect potluck dish. Very tasty and so easy to throw together.