Our Caramel Apple Cupcakes recipe is made with fluffy yellow cake with real apple pieces filled with caramel marshmallow fluff.
We’re back for our second month of our Monthly Ingredient Challenge. This month’s ingredient was apples. Melinda and I thought about it a lot and we settled on caramel apple cupcakes. Who doesn’t love caramel and apples together? Add them to a cupcake and you have a pretty awesome dessert.
It’s a simple recipe that starts with a boxed cake mix. We added 2 cups of shredded green apples and baked them according to the instructions on the box.
For the filling we mixed marshmallow fluff with caramel sauce. We cut a circle out of the center of each cupcake, making sure not to go through the bottom, and then filled it with the caramel fluff. Then we placed the cupcake circle back on top to cover up the fluff.
The frosting is a caramel buttercream made with butter, confectioner’s sugar and caramel sauce. We mixed it all together and then piped it on top of the cupcakes, drizzled them with caramel sauce and added a thin slice of apple to make them pretty. They tasted even better than they looked!
- 2 c Granny Smith Apples, grated
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (and ingredients listed on package)
- 1 c Marshmallow Fluff
- 3 Tbsp Caramel Sauce
- 3 c Confectioner's Sugar
- ½ c Unsalted Butter
- 4 Tbsp Caramel Sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven according the cake mix instructions.
- Mix the ingredients for the cake mix up according to the package.
- Add 2 cups of grated apples to the mix.
- Pour cake mix into cupcake liners and place in oven to bake.
- When cupcakes have baked and cooled completely cut a circle out of the center of each cupcake, saving the top of the cake core.
- Mix 1 cup of marshmallow fluff and 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce together.
- Fill each cupcake with the caramel marshmallow fluff.
- Place the top of the cake core over the fluff to cover the hole.
- Mix the confectioner's sugar and butter together to make the frosting.
- Add vanilla and caramel sauce to the frosting and mix thoroughly.
- Add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until the frosting is at the consistency you want.
- Frost cupcakes and drizzle with extra caramel sauce.
- Add a small apple slice to the top.
Make sure you check out what everyone else made with Apples this month!
We can’t wait for next month’s challenge, the ingredient is peanut butter!