I love food in a jar! These Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes in a Jar are perfect for Memorial day or 4th of July cookouts.
Before you know it summer is going to be here. I don’t know about you but I’ve got so many things on my to-do list for this summer. Backyard projects, grilling recipes I want to try, at least a few days laying poolside with a good book, and of course vacation. MG and I want to try to go up to Maine this summer but we’re procrastinating when it comes to planning it, so if you have any Maine tips let me know!
Summer also means cook-outs! We love grilling hot dogs and hamburgers…or better yet steak, and one of MG’s favorite holidays is the 4th of July so we always have people over. He mans the grill and I’m in charge of the sides and dessert. I love fresh fruit and whipped cream desserts in the summer. They are so light and airy, the fresh fruit is the star, and the whipped cream adds just the right amount of sweetness.
I also love food served in a mason jar. Mason jars makes it super easy to grab a dessert and eat while you are hanging out on the deck. Much better than trying to balance a plate in your lap! Melinda and I had Memorial Day/4th of July food on the brain the other day so we tried out these layered Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes in a Jar. Easy to make, absolutely delicious, and quick to clean up….it really doesn’t get much better than this.
We made cupcakes with a white cake mix, added fresh whipped cream to the bottom of a pint wide-mouth mason jar (affiliate link), pressed some strawberry slices into the whipped cream in a ring around the glass, and dropped a cupcake into the center of the strawberry ring. Note; It is important it is wide-mouth so you can get your hand in there to add everything. Filled in the spaces between the strawberry slices with blueberries, and then we repeated those steps for a second layer. We topped it off with a big, yummy pile of fresh whipped cream on top, but if you want to be able to put the lid on you’ll want to add less :).
- 12 white cake cupcakes (we made ours from a box mix).
- 1 pint Fresh Strawberries
- 1 pint Fresh Blueberries
- 4 c Heavy Cream
- ¼ c Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 1 Pint Wide-Mouth Mason Jars
- Make whipped cream by mixing heavy cream in a mixer on high until peaks begin to form.
- Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla and continue mixing until cream forms stiff peaks.
- Place whipped cream in a piping bag.
- Pipe approx. 1 " of whipped cream into a wide-mouth mason jar.
- Slice strawberries and place them into the whipped cream, against the glass, forming a ring.
- Place one cupcake in the center of the strawberry slices.
- Fill in gaps between strawberries with blueberries.
- Repeat steps for a second layer.
- Top with whipped cream and fresh berries.
I thought it was a perfect BBQ dessert and I can’t wait for Memorial Day and 4th of July now!