Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
This post originally appeared on Real Housemoms where we are contributors.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are an easy bite size appetizer of sweet crab meat and cheese baked to perfection inside mushroom caps, topped with buttery breadcrumbs.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are an easy, elegant appetizer for any party. The combination of sweet crab meat, perfectly melted Gruyere cheese, and tender baked mushrooms is sure to impress your guests and stuffed mushrooms are a great make-ahead appetizer! Prep the mushrooms all the way to just before baking, cover them in plastic wrap, pop ’em in the fridge, and then bake when ready!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Being from Maryland I love crab any way I can get it. During the holidays I serve these easy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms along with my Mini Crab Cake Bites and both are elegant appetizers that everyone loves. This simple stuffed mushroom recipe only takes a few ingredients so the sweet crab meat and the slightly earthy flavor of the mushrooms really shine through. I even add a little Old Bay to mine, because in Maryland you just don’t have crabs without Old Bay. It’s a combination of spices that pairs perfectly with seafood and it gives the stuffed mushrooms crab the flavor of east coast crab cakes.
What is in Crab Stuffed Mushrooms?
This is a one, maybe two, bite appetizer so you want to keep it simple but really pack it full of flavor. I’ve added very finely diced onion and red bell peppers to the mix. Both of these add a little extra sweetness to the crab mixture and the red bell pepper also adds a little crunch and color. We all know people eat with their eyes first and the flecks of red pepper really make this Crab Stuffed Mushroom recipe stand out.
You know I can’t make a recipe without cheese. Toss some Gruyere cheese in with the crab mixture AND add a little more on top along with some seasoned breadcrumbs before popping everything in the oven and you get a perfect cheese Crab Stuffed Mushroom!
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms:
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove stems.
- Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Spoon filling into mushroom cavities.
- Top with cheese and bake mushrooms until mushrooms are cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
What Type of Mushroom Do You Use for Stuffed Mushrooms?
You can use any type of mushroom for this. Baby portobellos are probably my favorite but they are a little hard to find in my area so I usually use white button mushrooms. A little tip when choosing your mushrooms for this recipe. Choose slightly larger mushroom caps. We want these to be one, or two, bites but mushrooms release water and shrink some as they bake. I used mushroom caps that were between 2-3 inches wide and they were perfect. Don’t wash your mushrooms, just use a damp cloth to clean any dirt from them and then gently remove the step so you are left with just the mushroom cap. Use a spoon to pack in the crab mixture, top with cheese and breadcrumbs, and you’re ready to bake.
Can You Make Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Ahead of Time?
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect appetizer for parties. You can make them the day before the party and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight. Then before guests arrive just place them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. If you want to be the host with the most make a combination of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms and Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. I promise you your guests will be impressed!
Want more easy appetizer recipes?
CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Appetizer board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 White Button Mushrooms , cleaned with stems removed
- 2 tablespoons Onion , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Red bell pepper , finely chopped
- ½ pound Crab claw meat
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese , shredded
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- In a bowl combine onion, red bell pepper, ½ cup of Gruyere cheese, garlic powder, and Old Bay. Stir to combine.
- Add crab meat and gently toss until it is mixed in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the mushroom caps and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with remaining Gruyere and seasoned panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven to 20-30 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Once cooked remove from oven and serve immediately.