Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are an easy bite size appetizer of sweet crab meat and cheese baked to perfection inside mushroom caps and topped with buttery breadcrumbs.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are an easy and elegant appetizer for any party. The combination of sweet crab meat, perfectly melted Gruyere cheese, and tender baked mushrooms is sure to impress your guests and stuffed mushrooms are a great make-ahead appetizer!
Being from Maryland, I love crab any way I can get it. During the holidays I serve these easy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms along with my Mini Crab Cake Bites and both huge hits.
This simple stuffed mushroom recipe only takes a few ingredients, so the sweetness of the crab meat and the slightly earthy flavor of the mushrooms really shines through. I even add a little Old Bay to mine, because in Maryland you just don’t have crabs without Old Bay. It’s a combination of spices that pairs perfectly with seafood and it gives the stuffed mushrooms crab the flavor of east coast crab cakes.
If you love these stuffed mushrooms, you should also try our stuffed mushrooms with sausage or our chorizo and cheese stuffed mushrooms. You can’t go wrong with these appetizers!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- White Button Mushrooms – You can buy just the caps or simply remove the stems yourself.
- Onion – Red, yellow, or white. Your choice.
- Red bell pepper – This gives a mellow spiciness to your mushroom.
- Crab claw meat – You can use, fresh crab meat, canned crab meat, or imitation crab meat.
- Gruyere cheese – You can substitute with Swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, or parmesan cheese if you need to.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs – Gives a nice texture and crunch to your mushrooms.
You can also add oregano, thyme, paprika, parsley, green onions, or any other herbs and spices you like.
- Step 1 – Preheat – Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Clean mushroom caps – Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove stems.
- Step 3 – Mix ingredients – Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Step 4 – Fill caps – Spoon filling into mushroom cavities.
- Step 5 – Add cheese and bake – Top with cheese and bake mushrooms until mushrooms are cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Step 6 – Serve immediately – Remove from oven and serve immediately.
How Do You Clean a Mushroom for Stuffing?
To clean your mushrooms, simply use a damp paper towel to wipe any obvious dirt off of them. If you’re buying mushrooms in the store, they should be pretty clean when you open up the packaging, but it doesn’t hurt to give them a good wipe before cooking.
We don’t recommend you clean mushrooms by washing them in running water. Mushrooms absorb water easily and that can lead to them being mushy later on.
How Do You Hollow Out Mushrooms for Stuffing?
Once your mushrooms are clean, you’ll want to hollow out the mushrooms so you have room for the filling.
First, you’ll remove the stem. Lightly grip the stem with your fingers and wiggle it back and forth. The stem should pop right out.
Next, take a small spoon and run it around the inside of the mushroom to remove the dark gills. Be gentle so you don’t break through the side of the mushroom as you are scooping it out. These gills can have a bit of a bitter taste so don’t skip this step.
What Temperature Do You Cook Baked Stuffed Mushrooms?
You will bake your crab stuffed mushrooms at 350-degrees F for 20-30 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
Can You Make Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Ahead of Time?
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect appetizer for parties. You can make them the day before and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.
Before guests arrive, just place them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. If you want to be the host with the most, make a combination of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms and Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. I promise you your guests will be impressed!
Can Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze crab stuffed mushrooms before baking them to save time with prep on the day you are serving them.
To freeze, clean and fill your mushrooms according to the instructions in the recipe. Instead of baking them, place them on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for 30 -60 minutes, until they have frozen.
Take the mushrooms off the baking sheet and put them in a gallon freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag before sealing tightly.
Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to Cook Frozen Stuffed Mushrooms
To cook your frozen stuffed mushrooms, simply remove them from the freezer and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until warmed through.
What to Serve with Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
These simple stuffed mushroom appetizers are perfect for parties. Serve them alongside other tasty bite-sized appetizers such as:
- Southern Deviled Eggs
- Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
- Gambas Pil Pil (Chili Garlic Shrimp)
- Quick and Easy Crab Balls
- Pesto Cream Cheese Spread
- Mini Lasagna Rolls
- More Appetizer recipes…
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 White Button Mushrooms , cleaned with stems removed
- 2 tablespoons Onion , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Red bell pepper , finely chopped
- ½ pound Crab claw meat
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese , shredded
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- In a bowl combine onion, red bell pepper, ½ cup of Gruyere cheese, garlic powder, and Old Bay. Stir to combine.
- Add crab meat and gently toss until it is mixed in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the mushroom caps and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with remaining Gruyere and seasoned panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven to 20-30 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Once cooked remove from oven and serve immediately.
You had me at crab! Making these for Christmas Eve.