Seasoned chicken, cheese, and a crisp corn tortilla make these Baked Chicken Taquitos an easy dinner recipe that never gets old.
Baked Chicken Taquitos
Chicken Taquitos are one of those recipes that are super easy to make and you never get tired of it….at least I don’t. I’m a crispy taco kind of girl so I love that taquitos are made with corn tortillas that are baked until they are perfectly crisp. Inside is seasoned, shredded chicken and lots of cheese…what more could you want in a weeknight dinner?
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Are Taquitos Baked or Fried?
You might have noticed that I said my chicken taquitos are baked until they are perfectly crispy. Taquitos can be baked or fried. I choose to make mine because it is less mess, easier to do, and fewer calories.
A lot of recipes for Chicken Taquitos will have you toss the chicken, cheese, and seasoning together and then put it all in the tortilla before baking but I think cooking the chicken with the taco seasoning and some diced onions before mixing it with the cheese, gives the taquitos more flavor. You can do this up to 2 days before and keep the chicken mixture in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Tips for making Chicken Taquitos:
- Save time by using rotisserie chicken or making a batch of Crock Pot Shredded Chicken. Then on taquito night all you have to do is season the chicken and roll it up in a tortilla before baking.
- To make your corn tortillas flexible enough to roll up place 2-3 in between two damp paper towels and microwave them for about 30 seconds. This will heat them up and make them easy to roll.
- I like to use Homemade Taco Seasoning and I keep a big batch in my pantry for my favorite recipes BUT, if you don’t have time to make any you can use a packet of taco seasoning instead.
When the Chicken Taquitos come out of the oven they are perfectly crisp on the ends and all chicken and cheesy on the inside. Serve them with a little sour cream, or some guacamole and watch them disappear. These easy, cheesy, Baked Chicken Taquitos make a great weeknight dinner and a simple game day recipe for tailgating or parties at home.
Want more easy dinner recipes?
- Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl
BAKED CHICKEN TAQUITOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Easy Dinner Recipes board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
- 3 cups Chicken cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco seasoning
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 12 Corn tortillas 6-inch
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil and the onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
Add shredded chicken to the skillet along with ¼ cup of water and taco seasoning. Stir mixture to coat the chicken with the seasoning. Continue to cook until the liquid is absorbed.
In a bowl combine chicken and cheese. Spoon about ¼ cup of the mixture onto each tortilla before rolling it up and placing it, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and the tortilla begins to brown and it crisp.