Cheese Taco Shells for a Low Carb Taco Night!
Have a low carb taco night with these Cheese Taco Shells made from baked cheddar cheese formed into the shape of a taco! It’s an easy keto dinner recipe you’re going to love!
Cheese Taco Shells
Mexican food is my favorite especially tacos, so when I started eating low carb I immediately went in search of a low carb taco recipe and I discovered Cheese Taco Shells. Guys, these things are life changing! Low Carb Cheese Taco Shells are the perfect keto dinner! They are easy to make (even though they take a little time) and I think they taste better than the original 🙂
How to Make Cheese Taco Shells:
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Step 1: Start by lining a baking sheet. You can use parchment paper but a silicone mat is the best because the cheese comes off easily every time. Then you drop little piles of shredded cheddar cheese on to the sheet. For cheese taco shells I suggest using about 1/4 cup of cheese per shell.
Step 2: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges begin to brown. It’s important to wait until those edges start to get crispy because you’ll get the crispiest cheese taco shells that way. Note: Cheese does release grease as it bakes. You can dab your shells lightly with a paper towel before the next step if you would like to remove some of the excess grease.
Step 3: Shape your cheese taco shells. Use two glasses and sit a thick handled spoon (or whatever utensil you have) across the glasses. You’ll want the handle to be thick enough that it will leave a space of about 3/4″ in the curve of your taco. It doesn’t have to be precise! Let the cheese cool for a minute then lift it off of the baking sheet and drape it over the spoon handle. Let it cool completely, this only takes about 5 minutes, and you have a low carb taco shell!
Want to try a different shape? These cheese taco shells are easy to mold. We used a mini muffin tin to make our Low Carb Taco Bites!
Now you just need something to fill that shell with. I make a simple low carb taco meat using my homemade taco seasoning and ground beef. I cook the beef, drain the grease, add a little water and the taco seasoning and simmer them together until the water is evaporated. Then I add the taco meat to my low carb cheese taco shells and top it with avocados, sour cream, and a little pico de gallo.
Want More Low Carb Recipes?
CHEESE TACO SHELLS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Low Carb Recipes board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
Low Carb Taco
Cheese Taco Shells
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat place 1/4 cup piles of cheese 2 inches apart. Press the cheese down lightly so it makes one layer.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the cheese are brown.
- Let the cheese cool for 2-3 minutes then lift it up and place it over the handle of a spoon or other utensil that is balanced on two cups.
- Let cheese cool completely then remove.
- While you continue to bake your cheese taco shells place the ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat cooking until it is completely cooked through.
- Drain the grease from the meat and then add the cumin, chili powder, onion, powder, garlic powder, and salt. Pour water into skillet and stir everything around mixing it together.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid has cooked away.
- Add meat to taco shells and top with your favorite taco toppings.