Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet potato hash is a tasty breakfast food that adds some extra wholesomeness into a traditional hash brown recipe. This hearty dish is perfect on its own or as a breakfast or brunch side.
When we are serving up a big pan full of eggs on the weekends, this is our go to side dish.
Why serve up a plain old breakfast potato when you can pack a similar side dish with tons more flavor and nutrients? This recipe is a great way to get your picky eaters to get more healthy foods in them.
And, if you like easy meal prep ideas, you can make this ahead on the weekend for a warm breakfast all week long. You can then store it in individual servings sizes so your family can grab, heat and eat.
I love a good breakfast packed with sausage and veggies, if you do too make sure to try our breakfast burrito casserole or our sausage and spinach crustless quiche.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes – Look for sweet potatoes that have intact skins with minimal or no bruising of soft spots.
- Bell pepper – We used a mix of red and green, but you could use your favorite colors.
- Onion – A yellow or white onion both work well for this hash.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin or regular olive oil both work.
- Kosher salt
- Breakfast sausage – You can use your favorite brand and type. For a healthier sausage, you can use turkey.
When you are ready to make this delicious recipe, here’s what you need to do.
Step 1 – Prepare the veggies. Before you begin, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
As it heats, combine the sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion in a large bowl. Next, add the olive oil and kosher salt and toss all ingredients in the bowl until the oil lightly coats everything.
Step 2 – Fill and bake. Once the ingredients are well combined, place the sweet potato mixture on a sheet pan and then place the pan in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and use a teaspoon or other small spoon to portion out the breakfast sausage. Scatter it over the hash and then continue baking for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve hot from the oven with your favorite breakfast foods. Scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, toast, and sausage links all go great alongside this hash!
Are Sweet Potatoes for Breakfast Healthy?
Sweet potatoes are packed full of nutrients. People often consider them a super food because they contain a lot of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
You can make this breakfast even healthier by using turkey sausage instead of regular sausage. You could also skip the sausage altogether and add eggs instead.
Other Items You Can Add
You can add other ingredients to make the hash a more complete breakfast or brunch food. Some our favorites include:
- Eggs – Add the eggs when the hash has fully cooked. Remove it from the oven and make 4 wells or indentations in the hash to hold the eggs. Crack 4 eggs into each well and then gently place the baking sheet back into the oven. Allow the eggs to continue baking until the egg whites are set. Serve immediately.
- Ham – You can mix the ham in with the hash in the beginning or serve ham steaks on the side.
- Cheese – We love adding cheddar, goat cheese, or swiss on top in the last 10 minutes of baking.
How to Store It
To store, place the hash in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place it in a skillet and warm over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until warmed through. Alternatively, you can heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until warmed through.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
- Low Carb Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche
- Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sliders
- Ham and Cheese English Muffin Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- Homemade Crepes with Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- Everything Bagel Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- More Breakfast Recipes…
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Sweet Potato Hash
- 16 ounces Sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 10 ounces Bell pepper, mix of red and green
- 3 ounces Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 5 ounces Breakfast sausage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion.
- Add the olive oil and kosher salt and toss all ingredients in the bowl until the oil lightly coats everything.
- Place the sweet potato mixture on a sheet pan and then place the pan in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove from the oven and use a teaspoon to portion out the breakfast sausage, scattering it over the hash.
- Continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
YUM! What a delicious recipe! I love how you added the egg inside the Alexia Onion Ring. Thanks for sharing! #client
This looks so delicious! I love sweet potatoes and asparagus. I will definitely have to give this recipe a try. Pinning!
Thanks so much for joining the Handmade Hangout! Featured on FB tonight 🙂 xo
this looks so delish!
This looks amazing!! I love sweet potatoes, and I think I need to make this!
Your bullseye eggs look perfect! Thanks for the recipe. Saving this for dinner.
This looks amazing! I love everything you ladies do!
Oh great idea….I totally want to gobble this up! Yum.
Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.
We love Alexia’s stuff! Your recipe sounds delish
Oh, my! I had to check this out when I saw the picture on Motivation Monday! It looks delicious, and definitely something I could adapt for the #whole30 program.
I’ve seen Alexa products at the grocery – now I’ll give them a try!
This is totally my kind of breakfast! I am saving this recipe!!
Looks absolutely DELICIOUS!!