These Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tots are an amazing brunch recipe that fills tater tots with sausage, cream cheese, and scrambled eggs!
Last month you guys made our Cheeseburger tots the #1 recipe on the blog! Those little bites of cheeseburger and tater tot goodness were amazing and as a tater tot fanatic they may be my favorite recipe ever. With Easter and Mother’s Day coming up we’re heading into brunch season and while you can make cheeseburger tots for brunch we thought we’d give you something a little more breakfasty to feed your friends and family. With that in mind these delicious sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast tots were born.
These sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast tots are easy to make and sure to make everyone happy from little kids to grandparents. They start with tater tots that are cooked slightly and then pressed down with a tamper to make them into a tater tot nest. Now, they take a little bit of time and no one wants to have to get up early in the morning just to get brunch ready for everyone so you can save yourself a little time by cooking the sausage and eggs the day before and heating them up in the microwave in the morning before you stuff the tater tot cups.
I think the sausage is what makes these little bites so awesome. You cook the sausage, drain the grease, and then add some cream cheese and continue to cook until it is all melted together with the sausage. That makes the sausage extra creamy and delicious. When it comes time to stuff the tater tot cups you add a little bit of egg and then a little sausage cream cheese mixture on top and put them back in the over to bake until the tater tots get crispy. Just a couple of minutes before you take them out of the oven add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese over the top, because really, you can never have too much cheese.
When they come out of the oven give them a minute or two to cool down and then pull them out and pop one in your mouth. It’s everything you love about breakfast, hash browns, sausage, egg, and cheese, all wrapped up in one bite of stuffed tater tot deliciousness!
- 48 Tater Tots, frozen
- 6 Eggs, large
- 8 oz. Ground Sausage
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 4 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium high heat. Once meat has browned drain the grease then add sausage and cream cheese back to the skillet and cook until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a skillet scramble the eggs and set aside.
- Grease a mini muffin pan and place three tater tots in each cup. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove the muffin pan from the oven and use a tamper to press the tater tots down into each cup. This will create a tater tot cup.
- Fill the tater tots with a small spoonful of eggs (about 1 teaspoon) and then place 1 teaspoon of sausage on top of the eggs.
- Place the tater tots back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the breakfast tots from the oven and sprinkle with a little cheddar cheese then return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove breakfast tots from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
Are you as big of a brunch fan as we are?! Try out a few of these easy brunch recipes: