Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole is filled with cranberries, pecan, and pomegranates. Perfect as a Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish!
Thanksgiving is this week and everywhere I look I’ve been seeing some amazing Thanksgiving side dish recipes. You know I’m going to have pecan apple stuffing and mashed potatoes on my table this year because it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without them but yesterday I got a request from my guy for sweet potatoes and because I love him so much sweet potatoes have now be added to the menu.
Melinda and I made this Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole recently so I already had the perfect recipe. Cranberries, pecan, sweet potatoes, all of those flavors make a sweet and savory side dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving. It’s pretty simple to make. You thinly slice some peeled sweet potatoes and then toss them in a mixture of melted butter and cinnamon. Then you layer them in a greased casserole dish. I started with a layer flat on the bottom and I sprinkled them with brown sugar. Then went back in and made the second layer cover the gaps from the first layer. That leaves perfect little pockets for the cranberries to nestle in to! The last ingredient before you stick the cranberry sweet potato casserole in the oven is orange juice and orange zest. We sprinkled the zest over the potatoes and then squeezed the orange over them. That citrus juice goes perfectly with the tart cranberries and both just highlight the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the top and then cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it in a 400 degree F oven for 45-50 minutes or until a fork can slide easily into the potatoes. What are sweet potatoes without marshmallows, right? Remove the casserole from the oven, sprinkle with marshmallows, and then return to the oven for 5 minutes or so until the marshmallows are toasted.
When it comes out of the oven it smells amazing and you’re going to want to dig right in but don’t skip sprinkling the pecans and pomegranate arils over the casserole. It gives it a nice added crunch and the pomegranate seeds and delicious and beautiful. It totally makes the dish!
It’s a pretty awesome casserole with all of the flavors we love in a more traditional sweet potato casserole and the added brightness of cranberries and pomegranates. It’s beautiful and delicious and I know everyone is going to love it.
Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
Baked Sweet Potato Donuts from I Heart Eating
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls from Kleinworth & Co.
Candied Sweet Potato Stacks from Cooking with Curls
Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
Harvest Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from The Creative Bite
Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Liz on Call
Sweet potatoes aren’t just for Thanksgiving, Christmas is just around the corner and nothing goes better with ham than sweet potatoes! If you’re looking for some more amazing sweet potato recipes to get you through the holidays make you sure you check out some of our favorite bloggers’ recipes!
Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 Sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4" thick slices
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, divided
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cup Marshmallows
- 1/3 cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Toss the sweet potato slices in the melted butter then lay a single layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the layer with ¼ cup of brown sugar.
- Place another layer of sweet potato slices covering the gaps in the first layer.
- Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar.
- Scatter the cranberries over the top of the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with orange zest. Pour the juice of the orange over the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the top with marshmallows then return to the oven for 5 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted.
- Sprinkle top of the casserole with the pecans and pomegranate arils.