Not Your Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
These are Not Your Mom’s Mashed Potatoes! This is a rich and creamy mashed potatoes recipe that is the BEST mashed potatoes you’ll ever make!
Thank you Pier 1 for sponsoring this post. All content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Not Your Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
Over the years I’ve perfected my creamy mashed potatoes recipe and at this point I feel it’s safe to say I have the BEST mashed potatoes recipe around! These are Not Your Mom’s Mashed Potatoes and I’m gonna let you in on the secret, it’s all about the cream cheese and butter. Yep, I said cream cheese…and lots of butter. The way I see it if you’re eating mashed potatoes you probably aren’t counting calories so go for it!
NOT YOUR MOM’S MASHED POTATOES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Recipe board!
Follow Home. Made. Interest. on Pinterest
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
For the last few years I’ve been making this awesome mashed potatoes recipe the day before Thanksgiving (and Christmas!) and putting them in the refrigerator overnight. The next day I put them in a slow cooker and set it to warm and let them heat up slowly until it’s time for dinner. Putting these creamy mashed potatoes in the slow cooker means I have time to do my second favorite thing (after eating) on Thanksgiving. I get to slip off to the dining room and set a beautiful Thanksgiving table. I love all of the gorgeous autumn colors and this year I found some great deals on some of the of the prettiest pieces for a place setting at Pier 1.
Just look at that table! It makes you want to sit down and spend time with friends and family, right? I’m not even sure what my favorite part is so I’m just going to give you guys a run down of everything I used on my Thanksgiving table.
Thanksgiving Table Decor:
- Gold Sheen Table Runner
- Fall Paisley Beaded Table Runner
- Amber Tones Beaded Placemats
- Plank-Edge Chargers
- Leaf Wine Glass
- Hammered copper flatware
Of course that beautiful table only lasts until the food is ready. We do Thanksgiving dinner in my house around 2 o’clock so all of the pretty decorations get moved and out comes the food. We always have broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and of course the BEST creamy mashed potatoes! They are perfectly creamy and hot as they are scooped out of the slow cooker and into a big serving bowl. I add a few pats of butter on top and dinner is served!
Tips for making creamy mashed potatoes:
- Add the butter and cream cheese as soon as the potatoes are drained and back in the pot so they melt smoothly.
- If you’re cooking for the holidays make your mashed potatoes in the morning and then put them in a slow cooker set to warm and keep them warm all day long.
Want more side dish recipes?
- Creamed Spinach with Bacon
- Pecan Rice Pilaf
- Broccoli Casserole
- Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole
- More sides…
Not Your Mom's Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs. Potatoes
- ¾ - 1/ 1/4 c Milk
- 3/4 c Butter, (1 1/2 sticks of butter)
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- Wash and peel the potatoes then cut them into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cover and place the pot on the stove over high heat. Bring the potatoes to a boil and let them cook for 10-15 minutes or until the easily break apart with a fork.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and then place them back in the pot.
- Add the butter and cream cheese and use a potato masher or a hand mixer to begin mashing the potatoes. Slowly add the milk a little at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
- Add the salt a teaspoon at a time until you reached your desired level of saltiness.