Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is a classic southern casserole recipe with a whole lot of flavor! It’s a must have Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish.
This amazing casserole is topped with marshmallows for the ultimate holiday side dish. This is one of those family recipes that I grew up eating at every Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. It goes great with turkey and ham and it wouldn’t be the holidays without it.
We still use my grandma’s recipe after all of this time and I think it’s the perfect balance of flavors with the added sweetness and some tart citrus flavors coming from orange juice and crushed pineapple. Then topping it off with ooey, gooey toasted marshmallows. I’m not going to lie, some years half of the topping was picked off before it made it to the table ;).
Sweet potatoes are so versatile you can add all sorts of different flavors to them for amazing side dishes like our Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole. Mini Sweet Potato Casserole, and Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need:
- Sweet potatoes – there really is no substitute here, just make sure to look for medium to large sized potatoes with firm skin and no bruising.
- Butter – A few pats of salted butter added a little extra richness to this dish and make your potatoes nice and smooth.
- Seasonings – don’t need much, just a little bit of salt which you can omit if you are cutting sodium
- Added sweetness – for a bit more sweetness and a bit of tart flavoring, we use orange juice and crushed pineapple
- Mini marshmallows – you could use large marshmallows cut in half if you prefer
Hosting a small gathering for the holidays this year? Check out our post on The Best Way to Cook Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving Dinner for 3 ways to make a juicy turkey!
How to Make It
- Boil the Potatoes. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add your unpeeled, uncut sweet potatoes. Boil the potatoes for about 40 minutes or until you can easily pierce a potato all the way to the middle with a fork.
- Cool and peel the sweet potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the pot and run the potatoes under cool water until they are cool enough to handle. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the potatoes in half and gently press the end of the “sealed” end of the potato. The flesh of the potato should easily come out of the shell.
You could also cut a slit in the potatoes and use a spoon to remove the insides. Either way works great.
- Mix the potatoes. In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, butter, salt, and orange juice with a hand mixer until fluffy. Then gently fold the pineapple into the sweet potatoes until well mixed.
- Fill and bake. Scoop the potato mixture into a greased 9×13 inch pan. Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Add Marshmallows. After 15 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and add a single layer of marshmallows on top. Put the casserole back in the oven and continue to bake until the marshmallows are lightly browned. This will take about 5 minutes but just keep and eye on it and remove it from the oven when you have a nicely browned marshmallow top.
How to Peel a Sweet Potato
The awesome thing is that you don’t have to get out a peeler and peel all of the skin off before you start cooking them. The best way to peel one is to boil the whole potato in a large pot for 40 to 50 minutes or until you can easily stick a fork into the center of the potato.
Once you take the potatoes out of the water, you need to let them cool enough so you can safely handle them. To remove the skin, follow either of these to procedures:
- Cut the potatoes in half and squeeze the potato out from the end
- Cut a slit down the side of the potato and use your fingers to peel the skin off
Either method is much easier than trying to peel the potatoes before cooking them.
Can You Make It Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make the it ahead of time and spread it in the casserole dish. Once in the dish, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
You will almost certainly need to add more time when cooking it because it is starting off cold. We recommend starting with 5 minutes and add additional time as needed. Don’t add the marshmallows until the center is warm. But once it is warmed through, add the marshmallows on and finish baking.
Looking for More Potato Recipes?
- Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mini Sweet Potato Casserole
- Not Your Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- Duchess Potatoes
- Loaded Au Gratin Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- More Potato Recipes…
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 3 pounds Sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 9 ounces Crushed pineapple, drained
- 2.5 cups Mini marshmallows, more if you like!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add your unpeeled, uncut sweet potatoes. Cook at a steady boil for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until a fork can easily piece the potato all the way to the middle.
- Once the potatoes are cooked drain the water and run the potatoes under cool water until they are cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes in half and gently press on the end of the potato to push it out of the skin. You can also cut a slit in the side of the potato and just peel off the skin.
- Place the peeled sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add the butter, salt, and orange juice. Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Gently fold the pineapple into the sweet potatoes until well mixed.
- Scoop the potato mixture into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Stop and remove casserole from the oven and add a single layer of mini marshmallows. Place back in the oven and continue to bake until the marshmallows are lightly browned, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.