Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
Crispy air fryer potatoes are an easy way to make traditional oven roasted potatoes with even crispier results! They pair well with roasts, dipping sauces or cheese.
Is there anything more satisfying than a side of crispy roasted potatoes? These Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes are a favorite of both our families because they are easy, delicious, and pair with just about anything from roast beef to salmon.
The great thing about making them in the air fryer is that you don’t have have to take up precious oven space. That means you can make them while your main dish is cooking so you can serve everything together piping hot!
And, since the air fryer uses a convection method for cooking the potatoes, the air circulates all around them giving you a perfectly even, crispy potatoes on even side. You’ll never want to make them any other way!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
What You’ll Need
You really don’t need much for delicious, crispy potatoes. It’s pretty much potatoes and spices. Here’s what you need to make sure you have on hand:
- Potatoes – we prefer yukon gold, yellow, or new potatoes for this recipe, but you could also use russet potatoes
- Spices – Kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper
If you want to try a slightly different version give out Roasted Ranch Potatoes a try using the cooking instructions from this recipe. You’ll love them!
How to Make It
Here’s the steps to making crispy potatoes every time.
Soak the potatoes. Start by cutting your potatoes into quarters or into 1 inch pieces if the potatoes are large. Fill a large bowl with cool water and let the potatoes soak for about 30 minutes. Empty the bowl. Pat the potatoes dry and dry out the inside of the bowl.
Season the potatoes. Place the patted dry potatoes back into the bowl. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and toss until they are well coated in the oil. Combine the spices in a small bowl and sprinkle them over the potatoes. Toss until they have coated the potatoes evenly.
Air fry the potatoes. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Depending on how long yours takes to come up to temperature, you may want to start it before the potatoes are done soaking or while you coat them in the spices to save a little time. Place the potatoes in the preheated basket. Avoid overcrowding the potatoes and allow room between them. Cook for 10 minutes, shake them, cook for 5 more minutes, shake them again, and finish cooking them for 5 more minutes.
Serve them immediately or if you are making a large batch, you can keep them warm in the oven while you make additional potatoes.
What Type of Potato Should I Use?
We prefer using yukon gold, yellow potatoes, or new potatoes because they have a more delicate outer skin that crisp up nicely in the air fryer. But you can also use russet potatoes or even red potatoes if you prefer or have them on hand. Russet potatoes tend to be larger, so instead of cutting them into quarters, like you would a small yukon gold, you’ll want to cut them into large pieces that are about 1 inch in size. No matter what potato you use, you’ll end up with great tasty, crispy potatoes.
Why Should I Soak the Potatoes Before Roasting Them?
Soaking potatoes helps to remove the excess starch from the potatoes. Removing the starch helps the potatoes cook crisper. If you are really short on time, you can skip this step, but we’re telling you, you’ll notice a difference if you soak them first.
What to Serve Them With
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Peri Peri Chicken
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Provolone and Prosciutto Stuffed Pork Loin
- Chimichurri Steak
- Ranch Baked Pork Chops
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- 1.5 pounds Potatoes, yukon gold, yellow, or russet
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters (if it is a larger potato cut into 1 inch pieces).
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and let the potatoes soak for approximately 30 minutes. Once they have finished soaking remove them from the water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Dry out the bowl and place potatoes back into it. Drizzle them with oil and toss until they are well coated.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning over the potatoes and toss until they are well coated.
- Place potatoes in the pre-heated air fryer, making sure not to overcrowd the basket, the potatoes can overlap and stack but shouldn’t be packed in tightly.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then stop and toss potatoes before cooking for 5 minutes more. Toss once more and then finish cooking the last 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.