Crustless Quiche Lorraine
A keto take on a classic French breakfast! This recipe for crustless quiche Lorraine is loaded with Gruyere cheese and bacon, making it the perfect dish for brunch.
We’ve taken this traditional French quiche and made it keto! No crust, all the flavor! Not only is it delicious, but it is very easy to make ahead of time which makes it perfect for breakfast or brunch.
We adapted our popular keto ham and cheese crustless quiche and sausage and spinach crustless quiche recipe using the classic bacon and cheese flavors of quiche Lorraine and the result is the perfect keto breakfast!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Eggs – You’ll want large eggs for this.
- Heavy cream – You can substitute with whole milk if you want to cut out some of the calories, but it will add more carbs to your recipe.
- Salt – We use Kosher salt, but you can use table or sea salt if you prefer.
- Black pepper – Always a great a way to add a extra flavor.
- Nutmeg – A traditional seasoning in quiche, it compliments the egg and dairy flavors.
- Bacon – You can use pork or turkey bacon, which ever you prefer.
- Onion – We prefer yellow onions for this recipe.
- Butter – We recommend butter over margarine due to the texture difference when cooking.
- Gruyere cheese – The traditional cheese in this dish. This is a swiss cheese so if you can’t find Gruyere you can use another swiss. Alternately you can sub it with your cheese of choice or mix it with a second cheese such as Parmesan cheese for added flavor.
- Chives – Popular in many egg and dairy based dishes.
Step 1 – Prepare Oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2 – Sauté onions. In a skillet over medium high heat melt the butter and add onions. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
Step 3 – Make egg mixture. In a large bowl add eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk together.
Step 4 – Assemble. Place onions, bacon, and 6 ounces of cheese in a greased 9-inch pie pan, quiche pan, or 11×7 inch casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over the meat and cheese and then sprinkle the chives and remaining cheese over the mixture.
Step 5 – Bake. Place the assembled quiche in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until you can jiggle the pan and the quiche doesn’t shake in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Quiche is essentially a French tart consisting of a pastry crust filled with an egg custard and various savory meats and vegetables. Quiche Lorraine, which gets its name from the Lorraine region of France, is a popular variant of quiche usually containing bacon. There are many variations of quiche. If you are interested, you can try out some of our other crustless quiche recipes here.
Gruyere is the cheese traditionally used in quiche Lorraine. However, if you can’t find Gruyere or prefer a different type of cheese, it can easily be substituted. If you wish to try a different cheese, we recommend Swiss, cheddar, fontina, parmesan, feta or any goat cheese, or even try a mixture of cheese.
You can substitute whole milk for heavy cream in quiche BUT whole milk does have more carbs than heavy cream so to keep this a low carb quiche I suggest sticking with the cream and skipping the milk.
If you do use milk you’ll need to recalculate the nutritional value below.
Crustless quiches are great keto breakfast options. The combination of heavy cream, eggs, bacon, and cheese results in the perfect fat and protein macros and there are only 2g carbs and 1g fiber giving you 1g net carbs per slice.
If you’re looking for more low carb quiches try our Mexican Crustless Quiche, Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche, and Sausage and Spinach Crustless Quiche too!
How do I Make My Quiche Fluffy?
There are several tricks to getting the perfectly fluffy quiche.
- Make sure your measurements are correct. Too much or too little egg or milk can throw your quiche off. The correct measurements will give you a nice fluffy egg custard.
- Make sure to not over-stuff your quiche. Too many ingredients can throw off the correct consistency.
- Cook it slow and low. There is no rushing a good quiche and the easy make ahead factor gives you plenty of time to make sure it comes out perfectly!
- Pre-cooking your ingredients is key. You don’t want to throw raw veggies in your quiche as the water that will cook out of them can make your quiche watered down and thin.
How to Make it Ahead of Time
Crustless quiche is a great make ahead breakfast. The night before, mix together all of the ingredients and pour them into your prepared dish. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Make sure you are using a dish that can go from cold to hot safely.
In the morning, remove dish from the refrigerator and place it in the oven to bake according to the instructions. Be aware that because it is going in cold, you may have to bake a few extra minutes.
How to Store It
This quiche is easily stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Refrigerator – Let the quiche cool completely in the pan. Wrap tightly with a layer of plastic wrap and then wrap in a layer of aluminum foil. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer – Let quiche cool completely . Remove from pan and place on plastic wrap. Wrap tightly with a layer of plastic wrap and then wrap in a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
Alternatively, you can cut into individual slices and store in the refrigerator or freezer in the same way. This is a great way to meal prep!
How to Reheat It
Oven – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Let the quiche sit out on the counter until the oven finishes preheating. If reheating from frozen, unwrap the frozen quiche and place it in an oven-safe baking dish.
Cover the quiche with aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 15-20 minutes for refrigerated quiche or 30-40 minutes for a frozen quiche. The quiche is ready once the center is warmed through.
Microwave – You can reheat individual slices in the microwave. Unwrap slice and place on a microwave-safe plate. If reheating from the refrigerator microwave for approximately 2 minutes. To reheat from the freezer microwave for approximately 3 minutes until warmed through.
Looking for other Easy Keto recipes?
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Keto Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Casserole
- 3 Ingredient Keto Mug Cake
- Keto Big Mac Bites
- Keto Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Peppers
- More Keto Recipes…
Crustless Quiche Lorraine
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 8 slices Cooked Bacon, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Diced Yellow Onion
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 8 ounces Shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon Finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add onions. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
- In a bowl add eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk together.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate, quiche pan, or 11×7 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dish.
- Sprinkle the cooked onions, bacon, and cheese. Use a fork to lightly mix together. Top with chives.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until you can jiggle the pan and the quiche doesn’t shake in the center. Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.