Curry Chicken Salad
Curry chicken salad is a super easy keto lunch, or dinner. Ready in less than five minutes, you can make this any time to enjoy a flavor packed variation on the tradition favorite.
We love flavors from India. Warm spices add a rich, distinctive flavor to the chicken salad that takes it from ho-hum to amazing.
This curried chicken salad recipe combines a traditional chicken salad with a homemade curry, red peppers, and almonds for a little crunch. At only 3g net carbs per serving it’s the perfect keto chicken salad for quick and easy lunches in lettuce wraps, scooped onto celery, or just eaten with a fork.
Of course, you can enjoy this meal even if you don’t follow a keto diet. The salad tastes delicious on sandwich bread or scooped onto crackers.
You know we’re all about simple meals to make on busy weekdays. If you like this one you’ll love our avocado tuna salad, turmeric chicken salad, and avocado chicken salad too!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need for the chicken salad:
- Cooked chicken breast – This is a great recipe to use leftover baked, grilled, or rotisserie chicken.
- Mayonnaise – This provides the base of the dressing.
- Curry powder – We make our own curry powder and give you instructions on how to make it. Or you could use your favorite brand or mix.
- Almonds – You just need to give them a rough chop.
- Red bell pepper – You could use a different color if you prefer.
- Salt – This is to taste and can be omitted if needed.
How to Make Curry
Curry is a generic term that describes a spice mix so every version is a little difference. For this dish we use a blend of :
- Ground cardamom
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Dry mustard
- Ground turmeric
Mix all of the dry spices together in a bowl and you’re ready to go!
Here’s what you need to do to make this delicious recipe.
Step 1 – Make the curry powder. Unless you want to use a pre-mixed blend, you should make the powder first.
To make the curry, mix all the spices in a small bowl. You can then add it to the recipe and store the left overs in an airtight container.
Step 2 – Mix and test. First, place the chopped, cooked chicken breast in a large bowl. Next, add the mayonnaise and the first teaspoon of curry powder along with a pinch of salt.
Mix it thoroughly and taste. You can continue to add curry powder and salt until you are happy with the flavor. Make sure to add a little at a time to avoid over seasoning.
Finally, add the chopped almonds and diced red bell pepper and fold in gently. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
What is Curry?
Curry powder is a mixture of different spices. The blend originates on the Indian subcontinent and is popular in many Indian, Pakistan, Thai, and other regional recipes.
The spices used will vary but most start with turmeric and build out from there.
Curry powder often varies in heat or strength. You can often find mild, medium, and hot versions. You can adjust your homemade curry by adding less or more cayenne pepper to it. You could also add none for the mildest flavor.
How to Make it Ahead of Time
You can easily make this recipe ahead of time. This makes it a great recipe for a midweek meal or to bring to your next picnic or get together.
Follow the recipe and then place the salad in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 3 to 4 days in the fridge. When you are ready to serve, just take it out of the fridge and you’re ready!
What to Serve With It?
If you follow a keto diet, you can easily make this keto by serving it in a lettuce cup, over lettuce in a bowl, with cucumber slices, or stuffed in celery or an avocado half.
If you don’t follow a keto diet, you can serve on your favorite bread or rolls as a sandwich. We often like toasting the bread or rolls first. You could also melt a cheese on top as a melt. And on the side, you can serve chips, fries, cucumber slices, or your favorite sandwich sides.
Looking for More Keto Lunch Ideas?
- Keto Big Mac Bowl
- Keto Chicken Gyro Bowl
- Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl (Low Carb)
- Ham Salad
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- Keto Antipasto Salad
- More Keto Lunch Recipes
Like this recipe?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes like this.
Curry Chicken Salad
- 24 ounces Cooked Chicken Breast, chopped
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt , more to taste
- 1 cup Almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cardamom
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- Place the chopped, cooked chicken breast in a large bowl and add the mayonnaise, curry powder, and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and taste. Continue to add additional curry powder and salt until you are happy with the flavor.
- Add the chopped almonds and diced red bell pepper and fold in gently.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container.