Ham salad jazzes up leftover ham and turns it into deli salad. If you are tired of just heating up last night’s dinner and calling it lunch, then this easy recipe is for you!
This recipe is one of our favorite ways to serve leftover ham (right along with this ham and bean soup). It is somewhat sweet and generally mild compared to deviled ham.
But it is just as easy to make. And it’s keto friendly, which is great to know if you over-indulged a bit or are following a low carb diet.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
If you want to jazz up your ham leftovers, here’s what you’ll need to have on hand.
- Ham – The perfect way to use up leftover honey glazed ham or Instant Pot ham from Easter or any time you serve ham.
- Mayonnaise – If you want to make this keto, use regular mayo. It also has the best flavor and consistency. But if you prefer, you can use low fat versions.
- Hard-boiled eggs – When you make this around Easter, it’s a great way to use up dyed eggs. If not, make sure you boil a couple and let them cool down before adding.
- Veggies – You’ll need to slice some celery and either a white or yellow onion.
- Mustard – We use Dijon mustard for this recipe. It has a little bit of a tang to it giving the salad lots of flavor.
- Seasonings – For flavor, you’ll need dill relish (or sweet relish if you are not making this keto), lemon juice, and black pepper.
Making this salad is about as easy as making a ham sandwich. Here’s what you need to do.
Step 1 – Chop the ham. Place your ham in a food processor and pulse until the ham is cut into fine pieces. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a sharp knife to dice it up.
Step 2 – Mix and serve. Mix the ham with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until well combined and then serve on a roll, over greens, or on its own. Enjoy!
Want to Make it Spicy?
If you love spicy food, you can use deviled ham in place of the ham in the recipe and reduce the amount of mayonnaise to ¼ cup. Since the deviled ham is already finely chopped, you can just mix it altogether and skip the food processor.
How Long Does It Last in the Fridge?
Ham salad will last about 3 to 4 days in the fridge. To store it, make sure you place it in an airtight container immediately after making it. When you serve the salad, take out only what you need and place the rest back in the fridge as soon as possible to preserve freshness.
How to Freeze It
If you make a really large batch, you can freeze some or all of it. To freeze, place the ham salad in a freezer safe container or freezer bag. If you use a bag, be sure to squeeze as much air out as possible to prevent freezer burn. It should last up to 6 months in the freezer.
If you want smaller portions, freeze in smaller containers or bags. That’s a great way to have an easy lunch when you want it.
The night before you want to serve the salad, take it out of the freezer and place in the fridge to thaw.
Looking for More Ham Recipes?
- Low Carb Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche
- Honey Glazed Ham
- Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Skewers
- Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bombs
- Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Twice Baked Potatoes
- 1.5 pounds Ham
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 large Hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, sliced
- ¼ cup Onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Dill relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Place the ham in a food processor and pulse to finely chop it.
- In a large bowl combine the ham, mayonnaise, eggs, celery, onion, dill relish, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and pepper. Stir together until well mixed.
- Serve and enjoy.